Development #2.

No sound on power up. Again.

It happened last night. The unit sat idle all day long, was played with enthusiasm the night before (Monday night). Around 7PM last night (Tuesday) I turned the NAD on to remove the prior night's CD. (Soundtrack to the Lion King, Disney Studios) I also powered on the 970, which went through it's power on welcome message, and flipped on the amp as well.

As the 970 was going through it's welcome message, the CD starting playing, before I then hit stop, and then eject. The prior input on the 970 was CD, set to Analog Bypass as always. I placed the dvd (Shrek, Dreamworks Inc.) into the player, and close the tray and pushed play. I switched sources to DVD, (Dolby Dig; Coax 1) using the front panel. (input, cursor downs)

Same results as before; the front panel buttons worked (menu, mute, etc) but the volume knob did not APPEAR to work. (but it does, as the volume display changes if you hit menu, and then menu again to return to the main display; the altered volume level then displays)

Controls from the Remote were similar; menu, cursor, mute type functions all worked. Volume commands did nothing. (and actually did nothing; hitting menu twice to 'refresh' the main display still showed the same unchanged volume)

Changing inputs with the remote did not bring out any audio. I was able to switch to DVD, all Videos, etc. and no sound. I confirmed that the Samsung Satellite tuner was off. (keep in mind this thing sends some sort of audio stream through the fiber channel even when 'off' though. I don't know if that's true about the digital coax line)

I then powered off the unit with the remote, and then back on after 3 seconds, and all was normal in the world.

:rolleyes:

For those wondering, I remember reading that 'as long as you started your source after the 970 was waiting for it, it tended to work OK'. I've been deliberately powering on the DVD player before the 970 just to test this theory.

There are plenty of instances where the unit has been on, then turned off for a few minutes, of few hours, and then turned back on without any problem.

There have even been instances where it sat an entire day and powered up fine for that first cold cold start.

I was going to continue testing, by switching and always powering on the 970 first and not powering on the T533 until the welcome message on the 970 was gone, but I decided against it because of development three....