"No sound" issue, now "eventually sound" issue?

I just replaced my Denon DVD-1910 with a new Oppo DV-970HD. I have noticed that sometimes there is about a 1-2 second lag before the sounds kicks in but, so far, it has been coming on consistently.

What follows is total speculation but, I wonder how many people experiencing the no sound issue have multiple digital sound sources plugged in. Both my HDTV receiver and DVD player are connected via optical connection only. My HDTV receiver is always sending a signal to the 970 when it's on. DVD players, on the other hand, do not (as far as I know) send a signal even when turned on unless something is actually playing - don't be confused by the screen saver signal being sent to your display, there is no sound. So, to continue the speculation, I wonder if at the point where the multiple signals begin to fight for common resources (DACs?), if the 970's software might suffer from a logic problem that leaves us in an undecided state. If the 970 uses some sort of polling algorithm to detect an incoming digital signal, that could account for the hit-and-miss behavior of this problem. Like I said, this is just guesswork...

On other news, in addition to the Oppo I also installed a set of 4 Polk Audio RC85i in-wall speakers for surround sides and back to go along with the Outlaw 7125. I am totally satisfied with the 970/7125 combination.

More later...