Quote:
Originally posted by openhelix:
.... here ya go: http://www.gov.ns.ca/enla/electricalsafety/esbadapterplugs.asp
A discussion of cheater plugs isn't germane to a discussion of a UL approved device.

Quote:
.... moot when you consider the existence of single-ground cables that are only grounded on one side which are fairly prevalent in many analog audio (over RCA) designs.
As I explained already, this is a non-issue. In a single ended connection such as an RCA type, ou have a pin and a shell. Even on the cables you describe, the "shell" HAS to have a conductor associated at each end.

For example:

Shell->Shield->(No Connection)
Shell->grounded signal wire->Shell
Pin->Floating conductor->Pin

Is a fairly typical construction. Note that there is and MUST BE a path from shell to shell for the interface to work. The connection of the SHIELD is not really of interest.

Quote:
.... since current follows the path of least resistance, it will never enter. Current only takes one path at a time through any given circuit.
Perhaps I didn't understand you before, but I thought you said you were an EE? I assumed that was Electrical Engineer?

If this little "fact" were remotely true then only one device on each distribution grid would get power at once. Your neighbor turning on their TV would turn off your water heater. Indeed, taken to it's extreme conclusion electrical devices as we know them would be impossible. This is, to put it plainly, wrong.

Current follows all available paths. This is a basic electrical fact. The small current flowing in the path I described proves (using basic algebra and Ohms' law) that there is a voltage also present. The presence of a ground-loop induced current therefore causes noise.

But none of that is primary to the discussion. The main thing is that Outlaw designed this unit to not use a grounding conductor and had the realization of that design UL approved. The device is safe, and furthermore, not intrinsically inferior due to this design choice.

I appreciate that you want to bow out of this gracefully, and I applaud your intentions to do so, but I'm not going to let you present fiction as fact to further that aim.