Quote:
Originally posted by Audioholic:
also sounds nice.

Snip..

To simplify:
* 990 & 970 should sound very similar on movies (same processor chip)
* 990 & 970 should sound very similar in analog bypass mode
* Using it's internal DAC's the 990 should be better than a 970 when processing a SPDIF digital signal on PCM sources (CD's, cable radio, etc.)
I have a question regarding performance for movies. I agree they share the same processor chip, but after the DD, DTS, etc., processing is accomplished, aren't the decoded signals then sent to the DAC's for coversion to analog output?

If this is case, which I belive it is, and the 990 has better DAC's, then it should also sound better for DVD's as well; no?

Similar performance should only be achieved via analog inputs with no digital processing. And, would actually favor the 970 IMO, because of the analog filter used for the 7.1 inputs. Both would be the same in Large bypass mode with no filter engaged and with the digital fiter engaged. Cant for the life of me figure out why they didn't include the analog filter with the 990.

IMO if Outlaw had used better DAC's in the 970 it would be a much better deal than the 990 if you don't require balanced outputs.

I have the 950 which supposedly has inferior DAC's to the 970, but only use it when decoding a two channel source. I get much better performance using the 5.1 analog inputs and using the processor and DAC's from my Sony NS 999ES DVDP. It has high quality 24/192 DACs.

I'm curious how it stand up against the the new units?