Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#743 - 01/16/02 06:53 PM Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
MikeyMac Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

I'm having quite a delima here, I can't decide between the Outlaw 1050 & the Onkyo TX-DS595. I've never listened to either but I do own a circa 1985 Onkyo Integra that I loved (until it died, that is). The reviews for both are very good. The reviews on cheaphometheater.com & audioreview.com weren't helpful in my decision, because they rated them both pretty highly as well.

#744 - 01/16/02 07:25 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Hudsonville, MI, USA
If you're not afraid of U-Bid, they have some of the 595's on auction. I was watching some auction off yesterday and they went for under $300....I'm not sure if those were refurb. but it might be worth your time to look into it.

[This message has been edited by kenty (edited January 16, 2002).]

#745 - 01/16/02 08:14 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
loomis Offline
Gunslinger

Avoid Ubid. Not safe. A few ppl I know had bad bad experiences.

Loomis

#746 - 01/16/02 09:36 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

Mickymac

You will not go wrong with the 1050. I auditioned the onkyo along with a denon and yamaha. Since I could not do the 1050 I went on what others said about the receiver and I am glad I did.

You can always return the 1050 within 30 days but I seriously doubt that is what you will do. It'll please you beyond all expectations (especially for the price). Hope this helps.

#747 - 01/16/02 10:04 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

Just for the other side of the u-bid story. I've bought lots of stuff from them(as other people I know have), and while service is not great and delivery time leaves something to be desired, I've always received exactly what I ordered. As with everything, nothing in life is free, if you bide your time and know what you're bidding on, you can get some outstanding deals(dollar wise). But you pay in different ways-
-refurb equipment sometimes(they always tell you if it is) with short warranties
-long waits for customer service

Anyway my point is that people value time/money differently. I've had good luck with UBid as have many of my friends and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again. They did ship the wrong item to a friend once but he eventually got what he ordered and some U-Bid credit dollars for his trouble. My experience has been they are more inept than unethical, usually the mistakes are honest. As I said, if you know that going in, and are willing to put up with it there are good deals to be had(if you know what you're looking for and have done your research!) If the hundred bucks or so that you can save isn't worth the hassle, look elsewhere.(oh and be aware that their shipping and handling on a receiver usually runs about $40)

As you can see I don't agree with the previous posters blanket statement to boycott U-Bid. For the right type of buyer it's a good solution, but not for everyone.

Kent

#748 - 01/16/02 10:13 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
kenty Offline
Gunslinger

One more thing. I suggest you post this same question at some other AV forums. You might get a wider range of opinions. Also, I would suggest looking at the Denon 2802. It's a little more, but people seem to be pretty satisfied with it(as they seem to be with the 1050). Worth looking at anyway.
Kent

[This message has been edited by kenty (edited January 16, 2002).]

#749 - 01/17/02 09:07 AM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
lao162 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: East Longmeadow, MA, USA
To me the dilema would be:

Six Channels and better Base Management vs.
ProLogic II.

You need to spend significantly more in the Onkyo line to get 6 channels.

I'm on the fence myself. But I will probably go with Outlaw since the others I'm considering are probably $100 more. I don't know that ProLogic II is worth paying 20% more.

Besides that, I like the Outlaw forums...

Good Luck!

Leon

#750 - 01/17/02 09:23 PM Re: Torn between 2 receivers, feeling like a fool.......
MikeyMac Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks a TON for the responses folks, unfortunately, now I have another variable in the equation. (Denon 2802) But, what the hay, I'm enjoying the learning process. I guess I'll have to take a run down to the local "House 'O Hifi" to check out the Onkyo & the Denon offerings. But, I'm sure the Outlaw 1050 will always be in the back of my mind. If it had component video switching & if the S-video switching weren't problematic, my decision would probably be alot easier, to be quite honest.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Veeper 1
butchgo 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics
98,700 Posts