Liz:

I'm pretty much a two channel purist and most of the time my system is on it's playing LPs or CDs (via my Squeezebox) in analog bypass mode. I use the analog HPF/LPF 80Hz crossover on the 970. Basically, I like to keep the signal path as simple as possible through the pre/ pro. I don't listen to SACDs. And I don't use any of the various "stereo" or surround modes for music. I don't even use the 970s internal DAC for digital (except for movies).

Those listening habits may make me somewhat unique compared to a lot of the other Outlaws, but it may help explain why I chose the amps that are in my system. First and foremost, I wanted an audiophile-type two channel amp for my mains. I won't bore you with a review of my McCormack, but suffice it to say it possesses everything I want sonically for 2 channel listening (in my price range).

Your Alons are not terribly inefficient, but there not terribly efficient either. If you're into playing movies and/or music loud and you have a large listening room, I could see how the 1070's 65 wpc may be a bit underpowered. By chance, have you heard the amp clipping at all?

If the 1070 is clipping when playing your Alons, you're running the risk of blowing a driver, or at least, are getting audible distortion which is not desirable. Apart from that, if you moved into a higher powered, dedicated amp you'd probably have better headroom than what you're getting with the 1070's amp section. That means big dynamic swings and low bass will be better executed.

One other consideration: does the 1070 have a sonic signature you like? If it does not, going with a different amp can help take your system in a different direction.

Lastly, I've been quite impressed with my Emotiva as a surround amp. It deintitley sounds better than the Frankenstein system I had before, which consisted of a single Adcom monoblock driving the center speaker and a Hafler 220 driving the surrounds. Those were both good amps in their day, but the Emotiva sounds better and you can't beat the price.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics