Ok - this is what I found. I hooked up my Yamaha and I had sub output at the external sub out port, but, not very much, maybe 73dB, even with the volume all the way up. I hooked it back up to the 1070 and turned the volume all the way up, I could just barely hear it, but it was outputting bass non the less. So, I started to think about this. My two subs are made by Energy. The bypass mode on the subs input is what I always used and worked fine in the digital domain. The problem with these Energy subs bypass mode is besides defeating the crossover it also defeats the volume control! And I have no idea what that volume is. So, I thought I would plug the cables into the ports that allow me to control crossover and volume. Guess what, I was able to bring the volume up to match the mains. Very poor design on Energy's part. I will be replacing these subs. This confused me because they work fine with coax/fiber optic. Basically the analogue out on the Yamaha has higher out voltage than the 1070, which probably doesn't matter, unless you have goofy subs like I have. Oh well, I'm pretty sure everything is ok? I will find out for sure with a new sub and HD/BR DVD player.
Thanks for your concern and help. I will call Ed Monday.
Tom