Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#73085 - 07/25/07 06:31 PM Calibrate SACD player
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: California
Hi,
I have Sony SACD player, Outlaw 1070 receiver and Klipsch bookshelf and subwoofer. I would like to know how to calibrate the SACD player. There is a test tone generator in the SACD player but it does not work for subwoofer. Please advice! Also, is there any SACD calibration disc available?
Thanks,
Think Green

#73086 - 07/25/07 07:11 PM Re: Calibrate SACD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I assume that you are using the 1070's multichannel analog input bass management in the "LPF/HPF" mode (analog crossovers), which takes care of the bass management but skips the 1070's channel trim and delay settings. In that case, you are doing the right thing by calibrating it.

I don't know of any SACD test discs, but you ought to be able to get pretty darn close using a standard DVD calibration disc like Digital Video Essentials, AVIA, or GetGray and playing it through the multichannel analog output.

#73087 - 07/25/07 11:49 PM Re: Calibrate SACD player
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk!

I connected my SACD player to DVD input on 1070 receiver via 3 pairs of analog connections. My bookshelf speakers are set as small with subwoofer. Cross over is set at 80 Hz for all speakers. My bass management switch is at "digital".

Is there a difference between "LPF/HPF" and "digital" setting in my case? My guess is it the same. I just want to get a confirmation.

Thanks,
Think Green

#73088 - 07/26/07 03:04 PM Re: Calibrate SACD player
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
"Digital" converts the analog signal to digital; applies the same bass management, time delay (speaker distances), and channel trim; and then converts back to analog. "HPF/LPF" leaves the signal in the analog domain (no digital bass management, time delay, or channel trim) but employs an 80Hz analog crossover network to redirect low frequencies from the full-range speakers to the subwoofer. "HPF/LPF" provides a cleaner and simpler signal path, so it's worth trying to see which you think sounds better. If there's no difference in your system, the "Digital" setting would allow you to skip calibrating the SACD player (leave channel trim at zero and don't set any speaker distances) because the 1070 will do it for you. In both cases, you would want to disable any bass management in the player (set all speakers to "large" and the sub to "on") since you are getting bass management at the 1070.

#73089 - 07/27/07 03:43 PM Re: Calibrate SACD player
Green Offline
Gunslinger

Thank you Gonk again!

Your explanation into the bass management is very good. You are a "man". For some of you who may not aware, this bass management switch is only applied to 7.1 analog input. I did go back to my SACD player and re-adjusted the speakers to large + subwoofer. I also re-adjusted my center and rear speakers crossover in the receiver to 100 Hz. It is the best for my speaker size. Therefore, I have no choice but using "digital" bass management setting (HPF/LPF is fixed at 80 Hz). I keep all speakers with the same dB readout when running channel calibration using receiver test tone. I feel it is better than having higher subwoofer output. My audio system sounds pretty decent now.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 92 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics