Congrats on the new receiver, jghim!
Quote:
Remote does not power the unit on. I press the various options, TNR, AMP, etc., but it won't turn on the receiver. Otherwise, the remote works okay.
The 1070 has discrete on and off commands. The "power" button is a discrete off. All input commands (CD, DVD, Video1 through Video4, Aux, Tape, and I think AM/FM) serve to both turn the unit on if it isn't already on and to change the 1070 to that input. It's a feature added with the 950 in response to numerous requests from 1050 owners.
Quote:
Had a drop out occur while playing a DVD-A. Disappointed by that. I'll be watching it closer.
What was the behavior of the drop-out? Did it simply stop outputting audio at all, or was there just a hiccup? Keep an eye on it, and I'd also be curious to know how you have the bass management switch on the rear panel set.
Quote:
The lag during Auto Polling seems a little long. When a DVD switches from the Menu to the Main Film, there is a significant pause after the film studio logo comes on. This is kind of frustrating.
Make sure that you've turned "auto poll" off for the DVD input. This is a feature that can be very useful with sources that sometimes output nothing from the digital connection (certain digital cable boxes, such as Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000's) because the receiver will also try the analog input if the digital doesn't seem to be ready yet. For sources like DVD, however, where the digital output can sometimes go inactive long enough trigger auto polling, however, it can be a pain. Fortunately you can disable this feature for any input by changing that input's "auto poll" setting to off.
Quote:
Sound quality -- This is FAR superior to my HK 7000, hands down. Further, sound problems I had with the HK disappeared here. e.g., I had a bad problem with sibilance in my center speaker that has, as if by magic, disappeared.
laugh
Quote:
Was a little disappointed to see it is made in Malaysia -- I'm a little nervous, because the HK was built in China, and it didn't last as long as I had hoped. However, just looking at the 1070, you can tell it is built like a tank. It is heavy and, looking through the grill, you can see how well built it is. The transformer is almost as big as the transformer in my HK7000 -- and the HK7000 cost about $1,700! I know of no other receiver at this price point that offers a toroidal transformer. Amazing.
Outlaw has been working with Eastech, the company that builds the 1070 in Malaysia, for something like seven years now (possibly closer to ten, when you factor in development time for the Model 1050). The Model 1050, 950, 1070, and 970 all were or are manufactured there. Reliability is been good - there are still 1050's up and running in many systems. In fact, one of the 1050 beta testers (psklenar) still uses his 1050 in a second system. I wouldn't worry too much. wink
Quote:
Girlfriend, an artist, is pleased by the design. She made a few comments about, e.g., the rounded edges. It is a complimentary piece of furniture, not an eyesore gadget. Frankly, I love that it compliments my NAD 6155 tape deck. It would have been perfect, if it had the green button!
I've also been pleased with the new style introduced with the 1070 and 990. Everyone's tastes vary, and some people have long criticized Outlaw's designs from an aesthetic standpoint, but the folks that have seen my 990 have never had a bad thing to say about it (and I have a co-worker who still lusts after the Model 1050 that I loaned him for two months back in 2002). I was never offended by the green power button that my 1050, 750, and 950 had, but Outlaw took a lot of heat before finally revamping their design concept for the 1070.

Anyway, congrats on the new toy and let us know how it goes!