Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#71510 - 10/13/05 11:46 AM Bass Management switch issue
SternFan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Denver area
When I have the switch set on the top choice (Analog Bass Management) - the front panel still says "Bypass" - How can I be sure it is processing correctly?

Anyone else see this problem?

I upgraded the firmware with the fix for the Motorola DVR issue, in case it is a firmware prob.

thanks

#71511 - 10/13/05 12:12 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
Scott Offline
Desperado

It is processing correctly. Bypass here implies it is bypassing the digital circuitry. Your bass management is occurring in the analog domain.

Scott

#71512 - 10/13/05 01:05 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
SternFan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thank you sir.

#71513 - 10/13/05 01:23 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
sternfan,you actually have a couple dvds i own.(i only own 17 so chances were slim)how 'bout that rage,killer,eh?.the tool also,i know of no other owners besides you.how about the APC video for:counting bodies like sheep......it's right to the point.
if you are into it,i HIGHLY suggest 'GODSMACK-CHANGES',in DTS it'll blow your mind,a stellar performance(i saw the same tour,not show),and the ultimate in recording.
also,if you pick up RATM dvd(1st) it has a bonus dvd-audio track 'the ghost of tom joad' which is awesome.

#71514 - 10/14/05 04:22 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
SternFan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Is that the one with Sully playing drums? Not sure where I saw that but I'll check it out.

Got the first RATM DVD - way down the list :-)

Thanks

#71515 - 10/14/05 05:02 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
painttoad Offline
Desperado

Loc: peoria il
yeah,but,he did a drum duet on 'awake' dvd with a small kit,'changes' is full blown,2 kits,ohhh!like i said,excellent SQ.

and yeah,i guess i missed it. cool

#71516 - 10/21/05 10:58 AM Re: Bass Management switch issue
SternFan Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Hey PaintToad - what kind of speaker wires are you using?

I need to upgrade there.

#71517 - 10/21/05 01:42 PM Re: Bass Management switch issue
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Don’t sweat about speaker cables too much. Low resistance and low reactance are the concerns, not anything esoteric. How about a 10 or 12 gauge heavy-duty extension cord with the ends cut off?

Paul Seydor of The Absolute Sound wrote about 14-guage extension cord wire from Home Depot in this manner:

Home Depot HD-14G
[estimated cost:] $30 per 50-foot pair with terminations

Okay, the model designation is my own invention, standing for H (Home) D (Depot) 14G(auge) outdoor extension cord. Otherwise, this entry is no joke. Like several other cables, it comes in a decorative jacket, here of striking orange and black, evocative of Halloween; unlike the others, you must snip off its AC connectors and attach terminations of choice (I used Pomona bananas). The HD-14G rendered Murray Perahia’s piano in a big bold manner, lacking just a little in finesse and ultimate transparency. It threw an image on Jacintha’s “Something’s Gotta Give” with the best—one note reads, “some of the best depth of any cable”—with tuneful bass, notably good height, and a quite lifelike projection. On the Rachmaninoff, it didn’t sound as “fast,” transparent, controlled, or defined in the bass as the better cables, but it wasn’t far behind them either, and it was always highly listenable and involving, with a big-boned, robust presentation that flattered the Appalachian Spring sonics. As for detail, well, it allowed me to hear every piano chord that bleeds through Jacintha’s headphones at the beginning of “Danny Boy” (Autumn Leaves); more detail than that you don’t need.

I’ll leave the last observation to the most technically knowledgeable, musically literate, and experienced of my listening group: “You know what’s really good about this cable? It sounds totally unscrewed around with.” If its half-inch thickness isn’t macho enough, Home Depot also sells a 12-gauge for half again that sum, and a 10-gauge for about twice the price, both in less attractive yellow-and-black jackets. If you still think I’m kidding, know that Tony Faulkner—engineer of about a third of the best-sounding orchestral recordings of the last twenty years—used the Black-and-Decker equivalent to hook up his Quad 989s at the recent Heathrow Show in England—“They are made from good, thick copper wire, look nice and sound good to me”—and that the designer of what is by provable standards one of the half dozen or so most accurate loudspeakers ever made uses and recommends it all the time.

Personally, I would try to use 10 to 12 gauge, or equivalent, wire for all but short runs.

Just because I’m a little picky, for longish speaker cables I use Belden 8281 video coax cable, the dual shield conductors only, two cables for each amplifier channel – this is equivalent to something like 10.5 gauge wire but each wire being a “tube” so that there is no connected conductor where the center of any inductance producing fields would concentrate, and individual cables instead of paired cables means there is no consistently maintained capacitance either. I haven’t seen this method reviewed anywhere, but I like it.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 285 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM