Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#700 - 01/15/02 06:39 PM Push Me Over the Edge
lao162 Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: East Longmeadow, MA, USA
Hello All,

I got hooked on audio/video again because I wanted to upgrade my subwoofer. All of a sudden, I learned that ProLogic is obsolete... Well, now I need SIX channels.

Under consideration are Outlaw 1050, Denon 2802 & Marantz SR6200. To me the competition have a sight advantage because they have ProLogic II. It would be nice for TV... However, Outlaw has better bass management. My 15 year old Paisly tower have very tight base below 40 hz. My 12" Cerwin Vega rears do ok on bass too. I think that crossing over at 60hz I'll blend better than 80hz for Denon/Marantz. I also like the idea of spending less. Since my speakers would probably need to be upgraded before I would enjoy the benefits of the high end components (i.e. 950/770), I don't want spend more than I need to...

My dilema is $100 (savings) and better base management vs. ProLogic II. I'm especially interested to know if anyone has experience with both the 1050 and Marantz.

So, do you guys miss have ProLogic II?

BTW, new subwoofer will be SVS - replacing huge/ugly band pass with two Soundstream 12's. With all speakers having efficiency of 96 or higher SPL, I don't think power is much of an issue.

Thanks!

Leon

#701 - 01/15/02 08:29 PM Re: Push Me Over the Edge
Mark Offline
Gunslinger

Lao,

I can confidently say, "Go for the 1050". I spent a great deal of time searching and seeking a receiver in the 500-600 price range. I had it down to either the Denon or the Yamaha until someone pointed me toward the Outlaw. I praise could not be denied for the unit and the great customer service.

I decided on the 1050 and I can honestly say that it is the best receiver for the price out there. Just last night I began to laugh due to the great sound that was coming out of my speakers. I ordered mine at 3:40 Pm and it was at my door the next morning at 10:20. You can't go wrong being an Outlaw!

#702 - 01/16/02 03:35 AM Re: Push Me Over the Edge
Owl's_Warder Offline
Desperado

Loc: Grants Pass, OR
My 1050 came in to my home and sat around waiting for a week for me to buy speakers, so I can't comment from direct experience. However, if you poke around, lao162, you'll see several posts from people who have done exactly what you're doing now. They all say the same thing.

"My tired old speakers have been given new life. They never sounded so good!"

I think you'd be very happy with the 1050. As to the lack of PL II, I wouldn't worry too much about it. It's new and in this price range you aren't going to find a lot of quality receivers that use it. I still think the 1050 will blow most anything in this price range out of the water.

Plus, if your tv comes in to your home digitally, just hook it up to one of the digital inputs. You can enjoy anything that's actually broadcast in surround. If not, here's the perfect excuse to upgrade to satellite or digital cable...

the Outlaws have incredibly good customer support. I have yet to hear of somebody who needed their help not being completely satisfied.

Finally, there is the 30 day in home trial. If you aren't happy, you can return for refund. Can't really beat that.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 303 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM