Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#69893 - 12/19/09 03:18 PM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Based on reports at AVS this morning, the UMC-1 has had another delay for some software revisions. One long-time supporter was critical of the decision to take credit card info recently and get folks hopes up in light of this delay, and he got a 30-day ban and had his IP blocked. The Emotiva forum is now in "maintenance mode" so nobody but staff can log in or even see existing threads.

I could probably take a moment to be really critical of Emotiva in light of all of this, and I do think their forum moderation is ill-advised (it reminds me immediately of AV123's shenanigans earlier this year, and that's not an association any internet-direct company should be promoting). However, one could also take it as an example of how difficult it is for any smaller company to develop this sort of technology. We could probably come up with a dozen companies that have struggled like this. Each company tends to handle the public side of those struggles differently and the specific challenges that arise vary, but it happens to everybody to varying degrees. Sometimes the product that finally emerges is left scarred by the process - incomplete, flawed, or otherwise imperfect - and sometimes the product ends up being simply excellent. Time will tell where the UMC-1 ends up, as it will for the R-972/Model 997.

#69894 - 12/19/09 06:00 PM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 990
audionirvana Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Iowa
Outlaw certainly had their communication issues with the 990 bass mangement bugs.

It took 2 years to get to a final firmware, then when it was released, they would not identify the changes implemented with the new firmware.
"Check the forum for past issues in BM" was not an appropriate response.

#69895 - 12/27/09 03:20 AM Re: Oppo BDP-83 & Outlaw Audio 990
cappra Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Glendale, Arizona
I have an Oppo BDP-83 connected to my 990. I have Rocket 750's with a MFW-15 sub. I listen to SACD's and DVD-A's. I have been thinking of upgrading to the BDP-83SE version, but with the way the 990 handles analog bass management, I have been reading thatI would be wasting my money. Has anyone tried the SE version and noticed a difference in the audio quality? The 990's bypass mode would work, but I would miss my subwoofer. I also don't know if setting my speakers to large would work either.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM