Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#69535 - 05/04/09 12:17 AM music server/990
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I would like to eliminate my Pioneer cd player and have the convince of having some sort of music server hooked up to my 990.
I was thinking of an ipod classic 120GB. 30,000 songs.
How could I or should I say can I connect it to my 990 for use in my home theater system?

Also I was considering the Logitech squeezebox duet but the ipod has more versatility.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#69536 - 05/04/09 01:39 AM Re: music server/990
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
I think Wadia makes a product that uses the signal before the ipod's internal DAC so you are able to recieve a digital signal. The second part is to use an exteral DAC (DAC Majic perhaps) to plug in between the Wadia and the 990. I do know how well it works, this is just been what I read. Seems like a lot of components, but this apparently is the way to go in order to utilize the digital signal from the ipod.

You could also just pick up an ipod cable that plugs in from the botton (not the headphone jack). I use this for the garage and it works quite well, but that is on a beater stereo with cheapo speakers. It does not work well with any components that are very neutral. So I imagine plugging it in "directly" to a 990 will produce poor results. I tried with a 970 (just had too). It sounded like compressed music - imagine that. But on a beater or ghetto blaster it sounds fine.

Search for Wadia for more information or DAC Majic. There is some really good information out there about these two products.

#69537 - 05/04/09 02:05 AM Re: music server/990
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you have a dock that offers a digital output, I'd suggest starting out by just going directly to the 990 with a digital cable - the 990 has a pretty respectable DAC already, and I've used it for CD's with very pleasant results. If you are using any sort of lossy compression (no matter how good) or if you ever use any surround processing with music (PLIIx, NEO:6, or 5/7 Stereo), I'd definitely hold off on investing additional money in an outboard DAC. I think the idea of a dock with digital out and a DAC is most often used for two-channel systems, as good two-channel setups are often based around analog receivers or pre-amps.

#69538 - 05/04/09 02:20 AM Re: music server/990
gonk Offline
Desperado

I did a brief search and found two docks with digital output: the Wadia (pricey at $380) and a DLO (somewhat less pricey at $200). For the price of the Wadia dock, you could get an AppleTV with a 160GB hard drive and transfer all the files to it, which could then be hooked to the 990 via optical and a video cable of your choice. You could also get a SqueezeBox, but you'd have to deal with accessing your audio with some extra software and you'd have to have the computer turned on to serve up the files.

#69539 - 05/04/09 03:41 AM Re: music server/990
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
If I may get in on this. Gonk, you mention using the AppleTV. I am to understand that you could download your Itunes library to the AppleTV, plug this into your reciever/Pre-Pro and you would have access to the files using a digital out and using the internal DAC? Do you know off hand what the results are?

#69540 - 05/04/09 04:36 AM Re: music server/990
gonk Offline
Desperado

The AppleTV is primarily acting as a network media client, similar to a SqueezeBox, but you can physically copy portions of your iTunes library (via wireless or wired network) to the device's hard drive (they make a 40GB version and a 160GB version). As for how it sounds, the biggest factor is the files themselves: lossy compression (be it MP3, AAC, or whatever) is still lossy, but a lossless solution (be it WAV, Apple Lossless, or whatever) should be able to match the original CD. I don't know that the AppleTV / iTunes support for lossless formats is particularly good (limited to just wav and Apple Lossless, I think), but for someone who is already using an iPod as a significant audio source the file library would port over directly (including any DRM'ed files bought through iTunes).

#69541 - 05/04/09 12:04 PM Re: music server/990
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Rubbersoul,
I have my iPod classic 30 gb hooked up to my 990 using the video 5 input on the front with a cable from the iPod headphone out to the RCA inputs. If you just want to play your music, try it out. The cable is available almost anywhere and despite what all the "audiophiles" out there say, it sounds pretty good. Just remember that the output of your iPod will affect the sound level. DYNEX makes a cheap dock to keep your iPod charged and allow you to input to the 990. As far as convenience you can't beat it. Your iPod is still portable and your music is still able to play through your system for about $10. I put all of my music into iTunes and I could use my laptop as a music server but it is not as easy as the iPod. I have a large collection of music from the last 40 years and I cannot tell a difference between the compression formats. A lot of music which was recorded prior to the MP3 format coming out is badly compressed anyway. If you import you cds into iTunes and play them through you system I think you will be pretty satisfied.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#69542 - 05/04/09 01:05 PM Re: music server/990
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Don't leave out the squeezebox due to versatility:

I'm running one to my living room streaming FLAC (lossless). My entire music library is loaded on my desktop and I stream it through the my wireless network to the SB3 which is connected to my rr2150. It also will stream internet radio and pandora. If you are a programmer, I see that there are plugin aps and developer kits to customize it as well. For a while I was streaming the weather forecast across the face of my SB3, I'm thinking the Duet can do something similar.

fun toy

#69543 - 05/04/09 01:50 PM Re: music server/990
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
Quote:
Originally posted by ndskurfer:
Don't leave out the squeezebox due to versatility:

I'm running one to my living room streaming FLAC (lossless). My entire music library is loaded on my desktop and I stream it through the my wireless network to the SB3 which is connected to my rr2150. It also will stream internet radio and pandora. If you are a programmer, I see that there are plugin aps and developer kits to customize it as well. For a while I was streaming the weather forecast across the face of my SB3, I'm thinking the Duet can do something similar.

fun toy
The Squeezebox definitely has my vote. Analog, optical and digital coax outputs so your choice how you want to connect to the 990 and you can use many more types of music files than with an iPod. Plus it is about the same price as that overly expensive Wadia dock.

Not a day goes by that I don't use my SB
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#69544 - 05/04/09 01:54 PM Re: music server/990
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Wow, thanks for all of your responses.
I have to get more info as far as connections for the squeezebox. I am not into computers except for getting information on the internet.
I really would like to get the ipod but I also enjoy my music at times played with the volume UP.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics