Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#69493 - 04/17/09 09:24 AM Power cables and the 990 processor
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

I was amazed at the improvement in sound I got when I switched the factory power cord with a Pass Lab Aleph 3 Beldon 13 power cord. Dynamics, air, detail soundstage you name it.
I have heard people say and read in reviews that their jaw hit the floor when they made changes with a specific component. I tell you this was substantial. My dedicated room has dedicated 20 amp breakers separating my ceiling canister lamps, audio gear and room plugs. I also have everything plugged into a power wedge 116. I also tried a Discovery power cable which made the sound more tube like and it was much better than the stock Outlaw power cable but the Beldon cable improved everything. (Hard to get over the improvement in slam)
Just had to share this with my Saloon Buds
singing italian

#69494 - 04/17/09 12:47 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
I'm sorry sir but you will never convince me a change in the power cord will make a difference in soundstage dynamics what ever.

What's your commission on this product?
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#69495 - 04/17/09 11:27 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
When I did a search, I only find info about a Pass Lab Aleph 3 amp, not a power cable. Unless you mean "Belden cable" not "Beldon cable".

Regardless, I changed out both my 990 and 7500 OEM power cables to MIT cables and added their Z-Stabilizer3 , and though the music was more detailed and cleaner.

#69496 - 04/18/09 04:25 AM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by mzpro5:
I'm sorry sir but you will never convince me a change in the power cord will make a difference in soundstage dynamics what ever.

What's your commission on this product?
I agree. I normally roll my own cables so that I can control the length and use quality wire/connectors. You should see the ratty power cables in use in most recording studios (and in the walls of a lot of our homes). The power of suggestion is a very powerful force. I suspect if you did blind testing of OEM vs expensive aftermarket cables, it would be impossible for anyone to reliably discern which cable was being used.

Best,

#69497 - 04/18/09 07:32 AM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
singing italian Offline
Gunslinger

The power cable provided on a stock 1997 Aleph 3 power amp is manufactured by Belden.
The model number for this cable is:
14-3 SJT (UL)E3462-C CSA LL7874-C FT2 SHIELDED PY
This is not an expensive aftermarket power cable. I am not suggesting that you go out and spend large amounts of money on anything. I simply switched the Outlaw power cable with a much better made Belden cable. The Outlaw cable is 16 AWG vs 14 AWG with more shielding. My point was that switching to a better cable I was able to clearly here the change in the quality of the sound. The amount of change will very depending on the equipment you personally have and your setup. I personally like to squeeze evey inch of performance out of a piece of audio or video gear I own. If you are happy with the sound you have thats ok too.

#69498 - 04/18/09 12:45 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
I think a friend of mine stated it best:

"I have often thought how ridiculous it is when people try to claim that the electrical current that has passed through miles of standard transmission line into your house, and through the tens if not hundreds of feet of standard copper wire from your main panel box to the outlet is somehow altered by passing through 3 feet of aftermarket power cable.

I often wonder why if they believe the claims that they make they are not pissed that they could spend as much money as they do on an amp/receiver/prepro/etc and tolerate the OEM degrading the performance of the product by selling it with an inferior power cord."
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#69499 - 04/21/09 03:24 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
Toledo Outlaw Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Toledo, Ohio
It was about 2 years ago that I decided to upgrade my system, (which ultimatley led to a 990) I did a tremendous amoutn of research trying to find what I wanted and needed o produce quality sound and picture without breaking the bank. In that research I read more than a few articles about "power conditioners" and aftermarket IEC power cords. Ultimatley I needed to replace a power cord for my Rotel 1066 Amp. I bought it on e-bay and the seller and forgotten to pack the cord. I ended up buying a rather heavy duty IEC cord for about $10.00. It works as best as I can tell perfectly well. When I was trying to find a replacement I called the local Rotel reseller and discussed the power cord issue with him. He said that it can make a difference, but really what we would be talking about is an extremely cheap cord vs. one made of decent quality. So the moral was as long as it is reasonably well made, or reasonable materials it'll work just fine. It's amazing during my research I litterly found a 3 foot IEC power cord that cost $7,500. That's no misprint, $7,500 for a power cord. I have some problems with the post that the cord made that much of a difference. I supposed your Outlaw cord could have been compromised to a certain extent or damaged and that would explain the difference. Other than that all my research and I did a lot makes me very skeptical of claims regarding vastly improved performance from a power cord.

#69500 - 04/21/09 03:43 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
Ritz2 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by mzpro5:
I think a friend of mine stated it best:

"I have often thought how ridiculous it is when people try to claim that the electrical current that has passed through miles of standard transmission line into your house, and through the tens if not hundreds of feet of standard copper wire from your main panel box to the outlet is somehow altered by passing through 3 feet of aftermarket power cable."
Bingo. It just doesn't make any sense. I'm not saying that people don't "hear" a difference, but I am saying that the power of suggestion is a very potent factor. Speaking of which...what ever happened to that clever little clocks guy? He was always good for a few chuckles.

Best,

#69501 - 04/21/09 07:22 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
shudder... I think the CLC thread was locked, chained to a radiator in the basement, and guarded by hired gunslingers. Reading that thread is simultaneously hilarious and (in its later incarnation) headache-inducing.

#69502 - 04/22/09 05:02 PM Re: Power cables and the 990 processor
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Your all too hard on the clock guy. They really did make a difference in the sound . About every 15 minutes youd hear an wonderful shimmer as the chimes sounded, and at 12 o'clock it was really cool!
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics