Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#69242 - 02/08/09 04:58 AM 7.1 Direct Mode to Digital
marsilians Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: NJ and Toronto
Hi

I have an Oppo 980 connected to the 990 via analog cables for SACD playback. Whenever I listen to one of these, I am unable to swtich back to digital out mode when I play movies off of the Oppo. I have searched here and read the manual couple times to figure this out but no success so far.

Thanks for your help in advance...

#69243 - 02/08/09 05:45 AM Re: 7.1 Direct Mode to Digital
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I think I know what you are running into. The 7.1 Direct connection on the 990 is basically a separate audio/video input. If you have the 980H set up to use the "DVD" input with its digital output for watching DVD's and the 7.1 Direct input for SACD / DVD-Audio, you simply need to select the 990's "DVD" input on the remote when watching a DVD or the "7.1D" input when listening to SACD's.

#69244 - 02/08/09 02:08 PM Re: 7.1 Direct Mode to Digital
marsilians Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk. First off, I am using a harmony to control my HT.

I tried this and for some reason it does not seem to get out of the 7.1D mode.

My current workaround is to switch to the "watch TV" activity and then back to the Oppo.

I will try using Outlaw remote to see if it makes a difference.

#69245 - 02/08/09 02:20 PM Re: 7.1 Direct Mode to Digital
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm not real familiar with the Harmony remotes, but I know folks sometimes have trouble untangling the specific commands tied to an activity. The workaround of switching to a different activity and back to the OPPO would fit with that - it suggests to me that the Harmony has a command to change from "DVD" to "7.1D" under the OPPO activity but not any way to get back without re-starting the activity from scratch.

If you can manually add a command to the OPPO's activity, you could try learning the "DVD" input command to it and use that as a way to directly switch back. (Assuming, of course, that the "DVD" input is the one you are using with the 980H's digital audio connection...)

#69246 - 02/09/09 04:04 AM Re: 7.1 Direct Mode to Digital
marsilians Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks again for your response gonk. I believe its the harmony as the 990 got me out of the analog mode and switched to digital when I selected 'DVD'

The harmony used to do this but I updated it few days ago as I got a new cable STB and had to reprogram. Somehow the DVD setting seems to have been affected.

Anyway atleast I have couple options to work this out.

BTW, excellent reviews on the 990 and other models. This was one of the reasons I ended up with a 990 after a minor audition.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 339 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM