Gonk and gang,

You were correct in picking up on the fact i did not bring in the analog for the xbox/cable box. I suppose i foolishly thought (hoped?) the 990 would transform the digital to analog. That misunderstanding cleared up, i added the analog connections and that helped.

So, now on the analog front the xbox (component 2, optical 2, video 2 in) works fine. The cable box (component 1, coax 1, video 1) still has no audio, which is admittedly odd. If i bypass the 990 and go from cable box to splitter i get audio, but it is noticeably quieter than the xbox if that means anything.

---

For HDMI pulled the new cable out of the rack and it did just barely reach the tv. Audio worked fine immediately. Then I made a troubleshooting mistake.. i switched the tv to the gefen primary output (port 1) and put the projector on port 2 in addition to rebooting the gefen at the same time. I cabled it back up to the way it was yesterday and it works fine! I say i made a mistake because i cannot definitively say if it was the port switch or the gefen reboot.

I did switch the gefen 1/2 outputs yesterday and it didn't make a difference.. so for now i say the reboot fixed it. How typical.

---

So i currently sit in a 2/3 situation - only missing the cable audio. Thanks for all the input so far. If you have thoughts on my errors on the cable box front let me know!

Thanks.