Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68634 - 09/08/08 05:33 AM 990 starting to bug me.
jmeno Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Staten Island N.Y.
I've been posting on here for a while. I used a different name but I have a new email adress and can't get my old password. Gonk has helped me through many issues with my 990.

I'm in a position where I'm actually considering buying a new pre-pro. The 990 has been great for me overall but there are certain things about it that just bug the hell out of me.

First off, when I first bought the thing, everybody wondered why it had DVI instead of HDMI. It was like having S-Video when everyone else was using Component. I didn't understand. It was obviously very poor judgement and would have easily been worth the extra money to have HDMI included instead of DVI. I got over it after seeing how good the system sounded compared to my old THX select reciever.

Then I got annoyed at how retarded the remote is. Gonk was nice enough to tell me all about the TNR button and how to operate the remote but the fact is that the thing works about 30% of the time. Certain functions just don't work right. After several frustrating hours, I was able to teach my universal learning remote all the main funtions of the 990 so I would never have to bother with that remote.

Then I found out how difficult it was to put a simple firmware update. There is no way I'm unhooking my entire system just to drag my 990 all the way up to the computer for a firmware update. I just have to live with it the way it is.

Now my universal remote broke and when I have to use the outlaw remote, I couldn't get anything to work right. Again, I know about the TNR button but this remote just never worked right. I couldn't do simple things like switch from TV to HD-DVD, etc. After getting extremely frustrated with this garbage remote, I threw it and it broke for good. I wound up ordering a new harmony one with more good advice from gonk.

Now while I'm waiting for my remote to come, I want to watch a few programs so I want to operate my outlaw from the unit itself. I turn it on O.K. but the input button does absolutely nothing. I try using the zone 2 remote, and it is useless as well. I can't even switch inputs by pressing the input button on the base of the unit! What is the sense in haveing buttons on the face of the unit if you can't do anything with it? What function do the hard buttons do? If they wasted there money putting useless hard buttons, they should have substituted them for HDMI. Now my outlaw is completely useless until my $200.00 remote comes. THIS SUCKS!!!

My faith in outlaw's products has been hurt very much recently. I was planning on one day buying the upgraded version of the 990 but now I'm leaning towards spending more on a similar name brand model that has better functionability.

#68635 - 09/08/08 10:23 AM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
lanion Offline
Gunslinger

1. I think the DVI/HDMI issue was beaten to death when the 990 came out.

2. I am surprised someone with a 990 doesn't have a laptop.

3. Outlaw isn't going to make a remote that competes with a Logitech Harmonay... so why add to the costs?

#68636 - 09/08/08 12:03 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I really suspect that your original remote was defective or that there was something else odd going on - had I heard about that problem when you first encountered it, I would have recommended calling Outlaw at the time, because the remote just "not working" intermittently is not typical. The Harmony remote will resolve it, but there was no reason to suffer for so long. The Zone 2 remote is literally just for Zone 2, however you can change inputs from the front panel - don't despair. Try using the combination of "INPUT" button and the up/down navigation buttons on the front panel. There are several front panel controls that work this way, including the "SURR MODE" button. The button puts you into a sort of "edit" mode and the navigation buttons do the actual changing.

As for the DVI, I still think that was the right choice at the time, and I still chafe at the fact that many receivers and processors released with or even after the 990 include HDMI inputs that offer no audio capability (a fact that is often only discernable by noting the absence of mention of audio over HDMI in the manual, or from a small sentence buried somewhere in the literature identifying the HDMI connections as being for video switching only). Using the DVI connector removed any question about how it was working, and I've used my 990's DVI switching with at least two DVI video sources and six HDMI video sources (eight, if you count a couple different outboard HDMI video switches that I've tried along the way) with consistently good results. If I see any blame to be handed out there, it's to HDMI for releasing an immature spec too soon and with too much uncertainty about where the spec was headed in the future.

As for the firmware update procedure, I find less issue with the need for direct connection to a PC (something that is common on nearly every receiver and processor on the market that offers the ability to do firmware updates) than with the firmware update process itself being a bit cumbersome in some cases (an opinion that I think Outlaw recognizes). It's not convenient to connect to a PC, certainly, but at least you aren't having to drive (or ship) the unit to a service center for the update - as was the case with some recent Onkyo and Integra units that actually had RS232 ports for update but for which Onkyo would not hand firmware updates over to consumers.

#68637 - 09/08/08 12:04 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
Modern preamp/processors are complicated beasts nowadays. Most people who own "separates" instead of the home-theater-in-a-box systems actually do prefer not to bother with stock remotes and usually opt for their own universal remote with features of their choice. I use a Harmony remote but I have used the 990's remote and haven't found it as frustrating as any other remote, but that just goes to show you how personal some of those choices are.

As for the firmware update, if you have not felt like you need it, then I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Not to be a smart alec but owning a laptop should not be something that Outlaw expects from its customers. Not only that, the firmware update tool only works on Windows. All my laptops are Linux, so I actually had to borrow my son's Windows desktop and move it to where the 990 is (it's less stuff to unplug that way). If you really want to do the upgrade, you might want to try that approach.

So, I am sorry your faith is dwindling. I have gone on other rants in other posts about usability and human-computer interaction but, to be practical, that's a lot of wishful thinking on my part. I wish I could tell you differently but, unfortunately, that's the state of the entire industry unless you are willing to spend much more for a customized solution.

#68638 - 09/08/08 01:50 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
gonk Offline
Desperado

You are not the only one to have issues with user interface design as an industry issue - although I would add consumer education as an equally or even larger weakness. Setting up a receiver, disc player, or HDTV isn't a simple process anymore (I should write up some of my observations from helping a co-worker set up a digital converter box and a new HDTV and VCR/DVD some time when I'm not on my iPhone in a doctor's waiting room).

#68639 - 09/08/08 02:25 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I have done two firmware updates. The first was when I got the 990 2 years ago, and the second was this summer with the new firmware came out. Both times I had to take the 990 upstairs to my PC for the update, as I don't have (the need) for a laptop.

My HDTV from 2001 only has Component (no DVI/HDMI) so that does not bother me. But I'd lide to have HDMI on a new Pre/Pro so when the time comes to buy a new TV it will work together.

I'm also a remote junkie and use the ones that come with each device. The last universal remote I tried was 3 years ago (not sure of the brand) but it was horriable. I've had no issues with the 990's remote in the 2 years I've owned it. Yours might have been defective.

#68640 - 09/08/08 02:56 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Yoy are going to be much happier when you get the new remote. I have the Harmony ONE and it is one of the best electronis devices I have EVER purchased. I also have the 990 and the remote that came with it works fine but the wife is technologically challenged and the Harmony is a dream come true for her. You can program on the website with the model numbers from your equipment and never have to touch another remote again. I have mine setup to do the utility work for my system and it works flawlessly. It also is programmable so it can control whatever future equipment I might buy next. The device could actually become the only remote you will ever need again for anything that can be controlled. Remember when you use it to keep it pointed at the AVR for sufficient time to get all the commands completed. My shoots through a glass door on my rack and at extreme angles it sometimes takes more than one try. Reducing the attack angle to <45 degrees is best for me. I think Gonk has set up his system to use RF signal so the aiming part is not even a challenge.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#68641 - 09/08/08 03:09 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
My HDTV from 2001 only has Component (no DVI/HDMI) so that does not bother me. But I'd lide to have HDMI on a new Pre/Pro so when the time comes to buy a new TV it will work together.
Always remember that for video, the 990's DVI switching will do just fine with HDMI devices. All you need is a few $5 DVI-to-HDMI adapters or DVI-to-HDMI cables and you're set. I've got a mix in my system: one DVI-to-DVI cable from 990 to HDTV, one DVI-to-HDMI cable between 990 and the 983H, and a DVI-to-HDMI adapter between the 990 and the cable coming from my HDMI switch (which collects video from the HD cable box, Blu-ray player, and HD-DVD player).
Quote:
I also have the 990 and the remote that came with it works fine but the wife is technologically challenged and the Harmony is a dream come true for her.
My wife could figure any system out if she really wanted to, but she just wants to watch TV - and a good universal remote (with macros, custom labels, and the like) allows that. She loves our URC remotes. Without a good universal, my system would have to be much different.
Quote:
I think Gonk has set up his system to use RF signal so the aiming part is not even a challenge.
And I find myself wondering why I waited as long as I did to make that change... smile The convenience factor is just huge, and since I already had an IR distribution system it was easy to get set up (heck, I did it while on a walker with a broken hip).

#68642 - 09/08/08 05:53 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
As far as the DVI issue goes, I went in knowing the HDMI connections were not there and it has been great to watch the flailing over the different HDMI versions. My Samsung has both HDMI and DVI inputs and I have used both from time to time and cannot tell a difference in the picture. Since it is the newest technology, HDMIs hype allowed companies like MONSTER to take advantage of a lot of people by selling them cables at $30/foot because most folks don't do any research. My brother-in-law spent almost $1000 to get his system hooked up by a major retailer using all high priced "QUALITY" cables only to have to replace most of them when the plugs would not stay in the sockets due to their own weight pulling them out. At least when DVI is in it in for good.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#68643 - 09/08/08 11:39 PM Re: 990 starting to bug me.
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
My TV also has HDMI, but I haven't found any major disadvantage to using DVI, along with an audio cable to feed the TV (as I have the 990 for HT, anyway).

As far as the remote goes, Gonk is probably right, it may have been defective. I also have a Harmony and find I use both. As for its quality, the 990's remote is identical, I believe, to the one used with the $6,000.00 Anthem Statement D2.

I used my laptop to do the firmware update. If you don't have one, see if you can borrow one from a friend.

Don't give up on her .... and good luck,

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM