Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68595 - 09/02/08 03:02 AM A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hello everyone ..... HELP!

I was under the impression that I could attach both balanced and single ended cables to my amplifier, an Anthem Statement A5, as long as only one source was live (either/or), at a time.

Given my lack of total satisfaction with the 990’s, two channel analogue mode, a friend encouraged me to use my Zana Deux, tube, headphone/pre-amp:

http://www.eddiecurrent.com/Zanadeux.html

as my two channel, analogue, music listening source. So, I connected it also to my Anthem Statement A5

http://statement.anthemav.com/HTML/Products/A_Series/A_Series.html

via a pair of single ended cables and listened to a cd. I must admit, I was totally blown away, literally, by the performance of my speakers, my DQ 10’s, as I’ve never listened to and/or heard them before. I had a busy afternoon and, so, despite my desire to continue the listening experience, had to leave. Unfortunately, I forgot the kill sequence and turned off the ZD, the pre-amp first and in doing so, heard an unexpected “POP.” Having heard this sound from my old system, I didn’t think much of it, thought it was because it was single ended, not balanced, without the ground. Later that day, I turned on my TV, via my sat box, 990 and Anthem amp. I immediately noticed that it was much quieter, but it took a while to realize that only my center channel was playing and not my main speakers (oh’oh). I tried to change the format within the 990’s menu, but it wouldn’t allow me to. I shut everything down and checked the circuit breakers in the amp (they were ok) and then the fuses in the speakers. Sure enough, the fuses fried. Fortunately, I had an old pair and reinstalled these. I turned on the cd player, first, then the ZD, and finally the amp; I was happy to discover that everything worked as it should, flawlessly. However, when turning off the amp, first (this time), expecting no pop, it did, in fact, make the popping noise again, only this time, not as loud. I checked the fuses and they were all still OK.

Next, I tried my 990 pre/pro and again, no sound from the main speakers. I have an external tuner, attached via Aux and again, no two-channel sound. Now I really started to worry. I clicked the ZD’s source switch around, but it made no difference. Then, I pulled the single ended cables, from the ZD, out of the back of the Anthem amplifier and tried again. This time, the 990 played as it did before, through the main speakers, also.

From what I understand, the ZD should not be making a popping sound and, via headphones, when turned off, it does not. The Anthem amp, without the use of the ZD, does not make any noise when turned off. So, I guess, my main question is: why has all this unfolded as it has? I’m a mechanical guy that loves music, my understanding of electronics is limited to a senior high school level; but, somehow my guess is that I’m not going to be able to marry the two systems together, the 990 and ZD? Am I correct in this assumption and if so, why?

Any and all information very much appreciated. You can’t imagine the panic scenario!

Thanks,

John

#68596 - 09/02/08 09:46 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Did a little reading on that Zana Deux unit - looks like one hell of a headphone amp.

I've looked through the Anthem manual and couldn't find anything about how the amp decides when to use balanced input versus unbalanced input. What I'm worried about is that having both connected at once is somehow confusing whatever "auto sensing" it must have. I'm not sure how that might directly result in the issue you are seeing, but it is the place that my suspicions gravitated to.

#68597 - 09/03/08 01:48 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

thanks for coming through; I knew you would.

Yes, it's a beautiful pre/headphone amp. I lucked out, purchased it used from someone that was dissatisfied, in part, because he was using the wrong input tube for the headphones he had.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion; it's a problem in both directions, both with the ZD and with the 990. I think the only way I can use both is with a switch within the amp, which changes inputs and that makes it way too complicated; it already is.

I wish you could have heard my old speakers, driven by that tube pre. I'd invite everyone to hear it, if I could figure out how to marry everything together. I'm afraid the only solution is to pull the main speakers out of the surround setup, separating the two systems.

On the other hand, I've come to appreciate the detail and precision of quiet listening over the original intention of these speakers, which was/is pure American hot rod; but what a joyful hour it was. A day later, I think my ears are still sore, still ringing. Sorry ... getting carried away.

In any case, it's not going to work, combining the two. It’s either one technique/approach or the other.

Again, thanks Gonk and how are you? I tried pm'ing you, but your mailbox is full.

John

#68598 - 09/03/08 03:04 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Definitely a system that sounds like a lot of fun to listen to. Hopefully you can get the two-channel working well soon.

I guess I need to clear out the PM inbox again. Doing fairly well - work is busy as usual, daughter has started pre-kindergarten and is enjoying that, and I'm still not driving. Crutches are an upgrade from the walker in most regards (move around faster, handle steps much better), but I miss being able to carry things. Going to see the surgeon again next Monday, hoping to get cleared to at least drive soon. I could even put up with the crutches for a while longer if I could transport myself from point A to point B without having to plan out in advance who was going to drive me. :rolleyes:

#68599 - 09/04/08 04:19 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
skiman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Golden. Colorado
Sounds like what you really need is a good two channel preamp with home theater bypass. These are connected between the prepro and the amp.

While I'm not familiar with the Anthem Statement A5, I can tell you that my Gemstone amp must NEVER have both the balanced and unbalanced terminals (of the same channel) connected at the same time.

#68600 - 09/04/08 09:07 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
Alexandru Mihaita Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Springfield, PA
I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to have the preamp modified to make one of its input sources "pass through". Then you could connect your front left and right outputs from the 990 to that "pass through" source.
The outputs of the preamp will then be connected to the power amp.
This will, I believe, give you what you want.

#68601 - 09/04/08 10:45 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexandru Mihaita:
I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to have the preamp modified to make one of its input sources "pass through".
I doubt that. It likely would involve some circuit board trace cutting among other things after any reverse engineering to figure out what to do in the first place. If there is relay swtiching, it might be impossible without major modification. Labor rates being what they are, I would bet that unless the preamp is extremely simple and laid out in an extremely obvious way, the cost to do such a mod would not be worth it.

#68602 - 09/05/08 12:30 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

The ZD engineer said it is possible to make use of both pre-amp types, but that:

The only exception would be an input selector switch on the power amp selecting balanced, or unbalanced, but not both at the same time.

I think he prefers the simple route, either (990) or (ZD).

It's unfortunate because each listening experience is very different from the other, yet both desirable. What it would cost to have the amp changed, in this way, with such an input selector switch, is not something I have any idea about.

The best way is probably to pull the main speakers out of the HT setup, separating the two systems. For now, I'll leave it as it is (it’s complicated enough, already).

I appreciate the responses and suggestions.

Gonk, I’m glad to hear you’re doing fairly well, improving and getting stronger. I’m not surprised to hear that your daughter is enjoying school, and the fact that she's going should also makes things a little easier for you. I can imagine your impatience, regarding your inability to drive; but, hey, why not take advantage of it, enjoy the opportunity to let others do the driving. I’m sure it won’t be too much longer.

And, good luck with the surgeon; I hope he has more good news for you!

John

#68603 - 09/05/08 11:43 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Another option would be to use unbalanced outputs from the 990 for the left and right channels (just as you are with the ZD), put a switch box in between the 990/ZD and the A5, and manually switch between the two sources. You'd need to re-calibrate the left and right channels of the 990 (probably need to give the trim on those two channels about 3dB of boost when you change from balanced to unbalanced), but otherwise there would be no change and I doubt your wiring runs are long enough to create a real need for balanced connections.

#68604 - 09/05/08 02:06 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
...I doubt your wiring runs are long enough to create a real need for balanced connections.
Balanced connections do not exist on today's equipment, except in some instances with professional gear. True balanced lines use isolation transformers on each end of the cable run. This is way too expensive for consumer gear. Transformers afford not only common mode rejection, but provide electrical isolation as well.

What you are really referring to is a differential connection. This simply inverts the polarity of the signal and sends it down the cable along with the non inverted signal (non-inverted on pin 2 of an XLR and the inverted on pin 3). The only advantage to this connection is common mode rejection, which can take care of EMI/RFI interference and break ground loops in some instances.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics