Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#68605 - 09/05/08 02:31 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Thanks for tidying up after me, Altec.

Here's a simple test: use the RCA cables you were using with the ZD to connect the 990 to the A5 and give it a listen. Unless you get something nasty (hum or buzz), there's no harm in migrating to that permanently with the 990 and you can much more easily incorporate a little audio switch that allows both the 990 and ZD to share the left/right channels of the A5.

#68606 - 09/05/08 06:50 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Gonk, you've managed to keep hope alive, as I had resigned myself to giving up.

Is there such a thing as an input selector switch that you can buy, as a separate and complete component?

And, better still, what are the chances that such a switch exists for XLR connectivity?

thanks,

John

#68607 - 09/05/08 07:26 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

The first one is easy, as there are a number of input selector switches around. Here are a few examples that I found:

As for whether such a switch exists that includes XLR, I've not ever seen one...

#68608 - 09/05/08 11:56 PM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Well,

I'm lucky number 13, with this response! Hope it brings me good luck.

Thanks, Gonk; you make it sound almost too easy.

The pre-amp is about 15, 20' from the amp and Sonic Frontiers, or Anthem, as they're now called, recommend balanced XLR for runs any greater than 6'.

Nevertheless, I sent them this message, just to be clear and certain:

Hello,

I'm currently driving my Anthem Statement A5 amplifier with an Outlaw 990 pre/pro, using balanced, XLR connectors. I also have a beautiful, two channel pre-amplifier. As I'm not content with the pre/pro's musical performance, it's been suggested to me that I use my tube preamp for music, the pre/pro for everything else.

I understand this amp has an internal auto input selectivity switch. Is it possible, then, to drive SR, C, SL with balanced XLR cables, while simultaneously driving the FL and FR with rca inputs (from the pre/pro)? If it is, does this mean I could potentially use an input switch between the pre/pro's FL and FR rca outs and my tube pre-amps FL and FR rca outs, so I could use either/or?

And, while I can turn off my 990 pre/pro with my remote, it actually remains active, does not shut down completely unless I hit the kill switch on its back panel (which, given it’s location, is not convenient). Could this mean that the three xlr inputs remain active and if so, would this pose a problem for the FL and FR rca input options while using my tube preamp?

Is this doable? Please, what would you recommend?

thanks,

John

#68609 - 09/06/08 01:01 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

The pre-amp that's 20' away is the ZD, right? If so, Anthem's recommendation doesn't apply because it lacks the appropriate outputs. Long runs are still perfectly doable over that distance as long as you take care with your routing. Altec is actually a good example (his amp closet is separate from his component rack, with long unbalanced runs, and by all accounts his system is simply exceptional).

#68610 - 09/06/08 01:21 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

thanks for this. I wish I would have known that, a few minutes ago .... but, too late now.

Yes, it's the ZD that's 20' away.

Can I drive the LF and RF channels with the rca inputs, if the three center, XLR channels are still live somehow, from the 990 (off with the remote, but still powered on)?

Thanks,

John

#68611 - 09/06/08 01:42 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Yes, you can drive the left and right channels of the amp via RCA cables (using either the ZD or the 990, with a switch to select) while using XLR for the other channels. If the ZD were selected, all you would need to do was make sure the 990 wasn't actively playing anything (muted and/or on an inactive input).

#68612 - 09/06/08 02:13 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk, even if the amp has auto input selectivity?

If it is possible, which switch would you recommend, with the least signal degradation?

thanks,

John

#68613 - 09/06/08 03:13 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
Altec Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_JB:

If it is possible, which switch would you recommend, with the least signal degradation?
I can answer that emphatically - use the unbalanced connection whenever you can, and in truth that should be always in any normal home situation. I use a 25' unbalanced run between my preamp and power amplifier closet, and if anything, my setup is more critical of noise than normal with my 106dB/watt efficient horn speakers.

Differential connections via XLR will always degrade the signal more than the simpler unbalanced route. The signal must be converted from the native unbalanced state inside your preamp to differential, which means extra circuitry which the signal must go through.

If you don't have a ground loop which cannot be dealt with by any other means other than using the differential connection, go with unbalanced.

The power amp will work just as well with either connection.

#68614 - 09/06/08 03:19 AM Re: A Friend in Need!
gonk Offline
Desperado

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_JB:
Gonk, even if the amp has auto input selectivity?
Anthem's manual isn't terribly clear on the matter of how it decides between balanced and unbalanced, but any sort of auto sensing must be done on a per-amp channel basis, and should not be done globally. As a result, using unbalanced for two channels and balanced for the other three should not pose any problem whatsoever.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics