Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#68513 - 08/19/08 04:32 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
nomoneybutgoodsound Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mission,BC
On the topic of a new processor and the recent sale prices of the SMS. If the new processor has a room correction device such as Trinnov is there a need for a subwoofer related room correction device? I do not know that much about room correction devices, but I would imagine that if one is going to be part of the next gen. pre/pro would not be so advanced to address what the SMS does? It could just be a coincidence that the SMS is on sale, and the release of a new reciever from SN that includes the Trinnov Room Correction.

Anyone know how well the Silicon Optix Video processing works? Again, this is what SN is apparently releasing.

Assuming that Outlaw uses the SN platform, we do have some idea of what is on the horizon.

#68514 - 08/19/08 11:51 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Someone else asked this question recently - there are folks who use the SMS-1 with Audyssey MultEQ, but the presence of room correction in the processor does reduce the justification for a standalone like the SMS-1. Trinnov, from what little I've heard about it from a Sherwood thread at AVS, sounds like it could be even a step up from Audyssey MultEQ, at which point the justification for keeping (or buying) an SMS-1 would probably start to dwindle appreciably.

As for the sale, it could be what you describe or it could be working to keep sales going with the recent economic turn-down (we won't use the "r" word). Or it could even be both, for all I know...

#68515 - 08/20/08 03:45 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
An Onkyo Pro 885 replaced my Outlaw 950. Problem is, all my sources are now digital, so I can't really comment on its analog performance. I will say after having spent a lot of time on the dedicated threads at AVS, that no one seems to be singing the praises of the analog section, so if that is important to you, I would recommend holding off until you can get meaningful comparisons.

What I can tell you - with digital sources, the 885 is great. I am running a PS3 into it for DVD, BD, CD and SACD, all over HDMI. Could not be happier with the performance here, using the direct or pure mode for audio only material, and the audyssey eq'ed settings for surround sound HT stuff.

On the video front, the problem there is it is not configurable by input. So while I saw a worthwhile improvement in the quality of my DishNetwork feed using it, I did not want it touching my BD and DVD video as the PS3 does a nice job with those, while the Reon setup in the Onkyo cannot be trusted to leave signals unmolested, excepting 1080p24 which it does not process. Result, I bypass the video processing completely at present.

BB

#68516 - 08/20/08 04:14 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon B:
An Onkyo Pro 885 replaced my Outlaw 950. Problem is, all my sources are now digital, so I can't really comment on its analog performance. I will say after having spent a lot of time on the dedicated threads at AVS, that no one seems to be singing the praises of the analog section, so if that is important to you, I would recommend holding off until you can get meaningful comparisons.
Does it have an analog bypass mode? This would eliminate any further analog processing. Most people would either be using the built in DACs for digital sources or an outboard DAC and analog bypass mode.However, if you can only run the analog inputs through an additional conversion process that would be a significant limitation.

#68517 - 08/20/08 02:10 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
I just read over on the avsforum that the Integra 9.9 will be shipping in September.... Not sure how credible this is.

Tempting, but I still don’t want to abandon my external DAC.

#68518 - 08/20/08 02:53 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've heard that the next gen of Onkyo (and thus Integra) was due soon, so I suspect the AVS rumors are pretty reasonable. What I wonder about is what changes they're making between the 9.8 (which just started shipping last fall) and the 9.9.

#68519 - 08/20/08 03:15 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
From what I understand: Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, only based off of some pictures that have been floating around the internet. Not sure if much else has been changed.

I was thinking the same, very quick to release the next model..

#68520 - 08/20/08 03:37 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by ndskurfer:
Tempting, but I still don’t want to abandon my external DAC.
Too bad outlaw doesn't make the ICBM anymore. That would give you bass management when using an external DAC and analog bypass.
They could make it a special order item and only make a batch when they have enough orders. A used one just went on ebay for $184, so there is still demand.

#68521 - 08/21/08 01:59 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
MeanGene Offline
Desperado

Loc: Simi Valley, CA, USA
As Outlaw's we should all know that you rob the stage coach after it leaves town, when it's far enough away from town that you can get away before they can go back and get the sheriff. That's the way it works, you just have to wait for the right moment to steal the deal.

Mean Mean Mean Gene

(Edited for a minor spelling issue)

MeanGene\'s DVD\'s

#68522 - 08/22/08 12:32 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
When I looked into the 2 channel analogue aspect of the Onkyo and Integra, I could not pin the dealer/technician down on its analogue performance; he would always steer towards some other shining feature of the machine, would not give me a straight answer. Based on this, I would assume that the 2 channel analogue aspect of these machines is not one of their strengths. In any case, if this is something that's important to you, I'd try to audition it first and if that's not possible, I'd spend some significant time researching.

In reality, the pre/pro is just beginning to take off, there's more competition and a better understanding of what consumers want and so like a computer, I think the longer you can wait, the better off you will be.

And, I'm guessing the new Outlaw will address this issue; at least I hope so and look forward to its arrival.

John

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics