Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#68503 - 08/16/08 09:41 PM New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
I am considering a new processor. Currently I have the 990.
I am interested in the new 990 that is suppose to come out before the holidays but I recently auditioned the Integra DTC 9.8 and was impressed by it's proformence not to mention all of the extras.
Does anyone have an opion on this processor? Will the new Outlaw 990 out perform Integra's video processing? HQ V Reon-VX
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#68504 - 08/16/08 10:24 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
We don't know enough about the 990's successor to say anything definitive. The Reon chip is widely used and might even show up in whatever Outlaw releases, but how the implementation compares on each is impossible to predict. The Integra 9.8 and Onkyo 885 processors (both based on the Onkyo 905 receiver platform) are certainly very respectable units with a ton of features. Even if we can't effectively compare the two, it's certainly not a bad choice if you want something now...

#68505 - 08/17/08 03:56 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
Good question. Maybe my question/input may further help you. Can someone help me with a question I have regarding these two Pre/Pros (Outlaw 990 & Integra 9.8)? I know that you appear to question the video processing capabilities, I'm not sure on whether this pertains to you, but a big factor I have is the better of the two in 2 channel audio (my current needs are 60%tv/30%music/10%gaming). If my understanding is correct, please read below for one big difference.

I plan on using my external DAC for music and run it through the analog inputs on the Pre/Pro. Am I understanding this correctly that the Integra does two more conversions even though I'm using anolog inputs? I'm assuming that the current Outlaw does not have this problem in bypass??

I know this is not related to video processing, but this is my understanding of the differences in the current models - so if you have a good external DAC, the Outlaw may be the better choice, which I'm assuming the successor will stay true to this logic.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I wouldn't mind someone confirming on whether this is correct or not.

#68506 - 08/17/08 05:33 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
I was just coming over here to ask the same question. smile

First some info on Integra versus Onkyo 805 from Home Theater HiFi review:
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/processor...-7.1-ssp_2.html

"Sometimes users question if they are getting any value in buying a higher end piece from a company like Integra over say a mid-lineup receiver and just using the receiver as an SSP. This is one time where we can make a direct comparison of the two options. Brian Florian recently reviewed the Onkyo TX-SR805. While these reviews have very little to do with one another (SSP vs. receiver) you can't help but draw a few comparisons. As an example, both have Audyssey room setup, HDMI 1.3a, and support all the latest surround formats. One would hope that for $600 more than the 805, the Integra 9.8 would have superior audio and video circuitry. Brian lives fairly close to me, so we measured both units using the exact same equipment. In all aspects, the 9.8 measured better. In the simple frequency response test, while the receiver is down almost 0.75 dB from 20 Hz to 20 kHz, the Integra 9.8 is down only 0.015 dB over the same frequency range. This kind of performance is amazing for an SSP at this price point. THD+N was lower on the 9.8 than the 805 as well.

Some of the internal components are better in the 9.8 as well. For example, it uses a toroidal power supply transformer, where the receiver just uses a conventional (though massive) power transformer. The menu options are different too, as the SR805 only allowed 0.5 ft increment adjustments for speaker distance, while the 9.8 allows for 0.2.

So, don't be worried about spending the extra coin on the 9.8. You really are getting more for the money. "

I couldn't find anything about whether or not the Integra has an analog bypass mode. I am looking at this unit, the new outlaw, or an external dac to use with my 970. I have been using the 970 in analog bypass but recently gave it's DAC another shot and the one thing that is nice about using the internal DAC is the bass management, it is really nice using my LFM-1EX with my two channel, even though I have the av123 strata minis which have powered woofers. I too would prefer to use an external DAC, there is such a big difference between DACs and it is nice to not to be stuck with the DAC in your pre-pro. But, from what I have heard the DAC in the Integra is outstanding for two channel music, it is supposed to be THE processor to use with digital sources. This is definitely going to be the processor for outlaw to beat.

#68507 - 08/17/08 06:29 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Just to be clear, the Onkyo I mentioned earlier was the 885, not the 805 - the 805 receiver is a step down from the 905 receiver, while the 885 is a processor based on the 905. The Integra 9.8 is also based on the 905.

I think the 885 and 9.8 both offer some sort of analog bypass, and I suspect the 990's replacement will as well. The 885/9.8 is generally regarded as a stand-out offering, although it has had some firmware woes (early restrictions on control of the Reon chip, a weird "bitstream bomb" with some DTS-ES tracks, and complaints about slow signal acquisition times) as well as issues with installing firmware updates. If other HDMI v1.3 processors had existed, they might have been more heavily penalized for all of that. Being so far ahead of the pack with what is apparently a basically sound, good-quality unit has put them firmly in the leadv- and I would suspect that Outlaw and others have been keenly aware of that.

#68508 - 08/17/08 07:32 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
Retep Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Tauranga, New Zealand
The 885 is from Onkyo Pro and is exactly the same as the 9.8, but the 885 comes with rack mount ears and the face plate is differnt. Apparently the rack mount ears are the reason for the extra $200. However, you can find the 885 more readily on the web and for a discount where you'll have to press your dealer for the 9.8.

Can't wait to see what Outlaw releases.

#68509 - 08/17/08 08:41 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Thanks for all of the responses. smile
I myself wish that Outlaw would let the cat out of the bag about the new 990, however I know because of marketing reasons we won't know anything until perhaps November. frown
I intend to hold off until Outlaw releases the information regarding there new processor.
My mouth is watering. The .... with summer bring on the crys of winter. mad
I have a loyalty to Outlaw and hope to continue the loyalty but with not even a rumor about ther new flagship model I want to run out and buy that DTC 9.8...... wink but I am not.

Patience,Patience. I need a Sam Admans light!! cool

Is this not a GREAT hobby.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#68510 - 08/17/08 08:57 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
You and I both. I'm itching to pull the trigger. I'm not excited about the 9.8, but it is available now. Patience, patience.....

#68511 - 08/18/08 04:59 AM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
dvenardos Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Thousand Oaks, Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Just to be clear, the Onkyo I mentioned earlier was the 885, not the 805 - the 805 receiver is a step down from the 905 receiver, while the 885 is a processor based on the 905. The Integra 9.8 is also based on the 905.
My bad. Thanks for the clarification.
Quote:
Originally posted by rubbersoul:
Thanks for all of the responses. smile
I have a loyalty to Outlaw and hope to continue the loyalty but with not even a rumor about ther new flagship model I want to run out and buy that DTC 9.8...... wink but I am not.
Living with the 970 has made me less confident in Outlaw. The 1070 and 970 they designed from scratch (same processing engine of course) and they have both been buggy and of decent but not outstanding quality. The 990 they piggybacked off of the Sherwood. I am not sure if I want to take a chance on another outlaw processor, so I am more willing to look at the Integra...

#68512 - 08/18/08 02:57 PM Re: New Flagship 990/Integra DTC 9.8
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

As it stands now of course Integra has the upper hand. However we all can be amazingly surprised with the new 990 model. After all as we are on this forum speculating what Outlaw has up it's sleeve for it's new entry in the electronic market Outlaw's head ringleader Peter Tribeman knows what they are up against.
Peter Tribeman is notably a up to date savvy and need I say intelligent part of the equation at Outlaw Audio.
I myself have found Outlaw to be a very sound company both in product and customer service. No doubt I am itching to purchase the DTC9.8 from Integra...I can almost TASTE the sale being made. But I am waiting for Outlaw to pull the rabbit out of the hat and I do believe that I will be pleasantly surprised.
My interest first is the HQ V Reon-VX that the Integra has and if Outlaw is able to match or outshoot the video processing of the Integra I think that I will stay with my partner outlaws.
I am also interest in two channel stereo and from the reports on the Integra it does an oustanding job.
Sorry that you have had issues with your 970. Admittingly I could have your attitude as well.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 187 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM