Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68331 - 06/28/08 01:36 AM Separate Tuner
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hello everyone!

From my years of listening to hifi audio, I'm sure I've spent the greatest percentage of time listening to an FM tuner.

My question is, have any of you tried using a separate FM tuner with your 990? This model, for example:

http://ca.denon.com/ProductDetails/561.asp

comes highly recommmended.

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks,

John

#68332 - 06/28/08 02:30 AM Re: Separate Tuner
Altec Offline
Desperado

The tuners used in HT preamps are not nearly as good as you would get in a dedicated tuner. Considering the generally horrible quality of FM broadcasting (at least where I live), I can see why there is not a lot of interest in devoting a lot of money to include a better tuner in a HT preamp.

I do have two separate tuners - one being a McIntosh tubed unit, vintage 1962, and a Phase Linear tuner from the 1970s. I have a 950 preamp which I use only for movie playback, but music listening goes straight through a tube preamp to an active crossover and EQ, then to the power amps.

#68333 - 06/28/08 03:22 AM Re: Separate Tuner
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Altec,

considering I find my music somewhat cold, flat and analytical, via my current system, are there any tuners you'd recomend? What do you think of the Denon, above?

thanks,

John

#68334 - 06/28/08 04:23 AM Re: Separate Tuner
Altec Offline
Desperado

I haven't looked at separate tuners for ages, so I can't really comment on what the current ones sound like. The Denon....well, I would imagine it's undoubtedly better than what would be in a typical HT preamp, but beyond that, I just can't speculate.

I do know that the ones in HT preamps are always "modules" made by companies like Alps. They're not all that great.

#68335 - 06/28/08 01:15 PM Re: Separate Tuner
XenonMan Offline
Desperado

Loc: Columbus,North Carolina
Any thoughts as to listening to FM via bitstreaming audio through a PC connected to the 990. My FM stations in this area really lack decent content but I know of several way outside the area which do streaming. Most stations are now online so the chances are you could pick the station you want. Instead of a tuner on the 990 replacement maybe the Outlaws should put in a USB port to accept a soundcard output.

I know I don't listen to FM nearly as much as I otherwise would because of the availabilty of the content on XM via satellite. I have never used the tuner section on my 990 and probably would have bought it without a tuner section at all.

TV System
Large Advent Loudspeakers/ Polk center/Monoprice surrounds/Panasonic Viera 42 inch/Onkyo HT-RC260/Sony BDP S590/Directv

Home Theater System
Onkyo PR-SC886/Outlaw 7125 Klipsch RF-82 L/R,RC-62 center, RB-35 SR/SL, BENQ HT1075, Outlaw LFM1-EX/OPPO BDP-83/Directv
Harmony ONE
Blue Jeans and Monoprice interconnects
APC H15 Power Conditioner

#68336 - 06/28/08 02:21 PM Re: Separate Tuner
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Streaming is adding some compression, so I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up not sounding as good as even a basic receiver tuner. Of course, you also don't have to worry about reception or distance from the station with streaming, so you can get stations you wouldn't otherwise...

#68337 - 06/28/08 02:53 PM Re: Separate Tuner
Altec Offline
Desperado

I use streaming from iTunes Radio Station presets quite a bit in my lab to have music while I work. The compression is usually more than you would elect to use with you own mp3 collection, usually being 128kbps. I've also found that the stream from many stations gets interrupted often while rebuffering takes place.

Better than nothing, but not as good as regular FM reception, even from the cheezy tuners in HT preamps.

#68338 - 06/30/08 04:09 PM Re: Separate Tuner
Jeff Mackwood Offline
Desperado

Whether it's the tuner in my 950 (main HT) or that in a Yamaha receiver (family room HT) I'm very happy with the selection and quality of stations available in my area. I also have the ability to listen to a host of channels through cable boxes in either set-up. It's a toss-up as to which I would use for background / non-critical listening.

If I were shopping for a stand-alone tuner I'd do a little research on units that were made / available in the 80s (or so) and choose one of the better ones and try to hunt it down off eBay. For example the Carver TX-11 was a good unit - and can be had for peanuts nowadays. NAD made some good ones as well - like the 4155.

Jeff Mackwood

#68339 - 07/02/08 12:39 PM Re: Separate Tuner
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Hello everyone,

I managed to pick up a used Denon D-TU800 tuner, but before doing so, I discovered this great resource:

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsD-L.html

The list of choices is seemingly endless and, in many cases, for not a lot of money. I think it's worth experimenting!

John

#68340 - 07/27/08 08:52 PM Re: Separate Tuner
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Hello everyone!

I thought I'd write with a quick update. I received my newly aligned, with a new capacitor, Denon TU-800, late Friday afternoon. Late this morning, I had the chance to install it into my HT system and couldn't believe my ears!

I've had my speakers for 28 years, although they sat for the previous 11. After rebuilding my audio system, with a mix of old and new, married to the 990, I was a bit disappointed with the musicality of the system. My only sources, however, were MP3 type music, from my sat box, the 990's built-in tuner and my old R2R. Most of my old recordings are of very mellow classical music and although there was a noticeable improvement in sound quality, the recordings didn't really provide the source required to make my old speakers sing, as they once did.

I'm happy to report that after installing the Denon TU-800, the DQ 10's perform, once again, as they used to; the depth and richness, the dynamic sound and spread and speed of frequency responses is nothing short of captivating; I couldn't pull myself away (and, I've yet to really tweak the settings, tuner and/or burn-in the input cables).

If any of you enjoy FM radio, you should seriously consider an old, separate tuner. The link above is also a fantastic resource on model comparisons, technical information and general guidance. Some of these tuners can be had for very little money.

I hope my enthusiasm and joy comes across here. I now have no plans on replacing the 990, at least not for some time (more than satisfied with the HT side of its performance). I am, however, going to buy a quality CDP, likely either a Meridian 508.24 or a Rega Saturn, which should complete my personal electronic orchestra!

Thanks,

John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM