Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#68249 - 06/17/08 03:00 PM External DAC to 990 for Music?
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
I would like to hear your experiences in comparing external DAC's to those in the 990.

I'm thinking of funding either the 990 or the next Generation processor with the funds I can get from selling my Channel Islands VAC-1/VDA-2. Since I have not heard the 990 DAC's, I am wondering if anybody has experienced a direct comparison. Will I be taking a major step down for music??

My current set up:
Outlaw 7500 (amp)
NAD C162 (pre-amp)
Paradigm Studio 60's v.4
Squeezebox (SB3) + CI Power Supply + CI VDA-2/VAC-1
Entire music library in FLAC

Since I plan on using the funds from the sale of the VDA-2/VAC-1 combo, I am wondering of other's experiences. I'm ok if it is a small step down, but nervous that it will be drastic.

Any opinions??

#68250 - 06/17/08 03:05 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
I compared the 990 to a Benchmark DAC-1 and thought the DAC-1 was a little better in bass definition and soundstage. This was level matched, but not blind.

I've heard good things about the Channel Islands DAC, but have not actually listened to it.

I doubt it would be a big step down, but you might notice it a little in a direct comparison.

#68251 - 06/17/08 04:49 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Quote:
Originally posted by ndskurfer:
I would like to hear your experiences in comparing external DAC's to those in the 990.

I'm thinking of funding either the 990 or the next Generation processor with the funds I can get from selling my Channel Islands VAC-1/VDA-2. Since I have not heard the 990 DAC's, I am wondering if anybody has experienced a direct comparison. Will I be taking a major step down for music??

My current set up:
Outlaw 7500 (amp)
NAD C162 (pre-amp)
Paradigm Studio 60's v.4
Squeezebox (SB3) + CI Power Supply + CI VDA-2/VAC-1
Entire music library in FLAC

Since I plan on using the funds from the sale of the VDA-2/VAC-1 combo, I am wondering of other's experiences. I'm ok if it is a small step down, but nervous that it will be drastic.

Any opinions??
Ndskurfer,

I used to own both the 990 and the Channel Islands Audio VDA-2/VAC-1 combo and from what I can remember is that the CIA combo sounded much better than using the DACs within the 990. My digital source at the time was an Oppo DV-970HD and I use Magnepan IIIa speakers powered by a Parasound HCA-1205A power amp for your reference.

#68252 - 06/18/08 12:06 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I've had a California Audio Labs Sigma-II Tube DAC for about 8 years until I got the 990 2 years ago. I did a direct comparison between using the Cal DAC + 990 in Analog Bypass and just the 990 in Digital Coax Upsample.
Between the two, I like the 990 in Upsample more than using the Cal DAC.
I ended up selling the DAC.

#68253 - 06/18/08 08:09 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
ndskurfer:

I held back posting a reply as I have the 970, not the 990, but the similarities in the rest of our digital front ends was just too much of a temptation. I realize this is not an apples to apples comparison, since we're talking two different Outlaw DAC platforms, so take this information as you wish:

I'm currently using a SB3 (streaming FLAC as well) that feeds a Behringer SRC2496, upsamples the digital stream, and passes it to my external DAC (a Musiland MD10).

I experimented with some comparisons to the internal DACS on the 970 and found that I prefer the external DAC solution. Before I had the Behringer in the mix, I A/B'd the Musiland vs. the 970 and preferred the Musiland. Before I had that set up, I compared the 970 to my CD player, a Cambridge Audio 640C, and I prefered the Cambridge.

I noticed FAUguy's comparison noted the benefits of upsampling, so that may be a key distinction in performance between the two platforms. You may also want to snoop over at the Slimdevices message boards and see if anyone over there is using a 990.

BTW, did the CI power supply make any difference in your SB3's performance?

Best,

- VD
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#68254 - 06/19/08 01:11 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks for all your responses. I'm leaning on just keeping it and holding out with my upgrade on other components. I don't have a choice if I were to get the next gen processor anyways. But I'm readying myself as I am also hoping to pick up an SVS ultra sub and I need to replace my old center with either the studio 590 or 690 (leaning towards the 590 due to space).

Otto - I have looked around the web for direct comparisons from the Benchmark and CIAudio, but can't find much. I'm guessing they are comparable (especially with the added VAC-1). It would be interesting to see how they match up...

slbenz - Thanks for sharing. I may have to hang on to it and see what I find in the comparison. I may be testing it against the next gen processor though, but I don't anticipate that being much different for Stereo.

FAUguy - Very interesting.. I can't wait to do my own comparison now to my DAC. I really hope that there isn't much of a difference, could free up some funds....

Videodrome - Funny thing, I have not even tried my SB3 w/o the PS. I bought them together directly from CIAudio when they first released it this past winter. All I know is that I love the set up.

Come to think of it, since I got my Outlaw amp, I haven't tried my SB3 without the DAC. I know that Amps don't do the conversion, but that Amp was the one single upgrade that I have made over the years that blew me away. I was more impressed from that upgrade than the one I went from my Mini Monitors to my Studio 60's, but then again, I was using an old HK receiver at that time. I went from the HK Amp to a NAD Amp, which helped it fill the room, but the Outlaw 7500 took over the room.

I love this hobby - I thought my 5.1 Paradigm monitors were the best thing ever when I got them 6 years ago, but over a series of many upgrades (little by little), my system keeps blowing me away. It only gets better (but I really hope the case of upgrade-itis wheres off at some point).

#68255 - 06/19/08 10:36 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Ndskurfer,

Check out my review on Epinions that compared the CIA VDA-2 with and without the VAC-1 to the Benchmark DAC1 and other DACs: http://www0.epinions.com/content_256272928388

Hope it helps.

Slbenz

#68256 - 07/10/08 08:29 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by slbenz:
Ndskurfer,

Check out my review on Epinions that compared the CIA VDA-2 with and without the VAC-1 to the Benchmark DAC1 and other DACs: http://www0.epinions.com/content_256272928388

Hope it helps.

Slbenz
Interesting review.
Which CAL Audio Labs DAC did you use (Sigma or Alpha)?
The one I had before was the Sigma-II, but found the "Upsample" on the 990 to sound better, so sold the DAC two years ago.

This week I have replaced my older B&W DM603 spekaers with the B&W 804S and HTM3S center. They are stil going through the "break in" process, but I have noticed that high-frequencies are sounding a bit too harsh when using the Upsample mode on the 990. Because of this, I have changed over to Bypass (even though it seems like there is less "detail" in doing so).

I might be interested in trying a new DAC since my new spekaers are much better quality and more revealing.

How much is the VDA-2 DAC by it self, and how much more is the upgraded VAC-1 power supply?

#68257 - 07/11/08 05:25 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Today, after about 1 hour of listening to a CD today with my new B&W speakers and the 990 in Bypass mode, I changed over to Upsample.
With the new speakers, there is no way that I can use the Upsample any longer. It just sounds too harsh and digital.
I then put in LOTR DVD using the Dolby Digital track for about 30 min, then changed over to DTS.
I was amazed by how much better the DTS sounder over DD. Voices were noticeably clearer through the HTM3S center speaker.
With my old speakers, I could hear very little difference between DD and DTS.

With the 990 (2 years old), 7500 (replaced my 7125), and new B&W 804S / HTM3S speakers, I think the next step is
to look at upgrading the source and my cables.
I'm using an Adcom 5-disc CD player with a MIT Digital Reference RCA cable connected to the 990.
Would it be better to replace the CD player with something more high-end (using its own internal DAC), or keep
the Adcom and connect it an external DAC like the VDA-2?
I also want to replace my old MIT MI-330 RCA interconnects with a higher-end MIT XLR interconnects (Magnum or Oracle).
That should also make a noticeable improvement.

I just want to get everything done, so I can spend more time "enjoying" music and DVDs without having to
keep upgrading different stuff every few months.

#68258 - 07/14/08 04:02 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

slbenz -

Great review! Thanks for your insight. I have not done the analysis you have done. Now is tough, my system is in boxes and won't be unpacked till Labor Day (in transition of moving).

FAUguy - you can get the VDA-2 directly from their website for $599. Not sure on the price of the VAC-1, I think I paid around $180?? Is it worth it? I don't know, haven't ever used the wal-wart. I have the SB3 power supply as well. I like the idea of using an external DAC, but I'm using a FLAC transport (SB3) rather than a CD transport (Adcom). I have read many reviews where a DVD player (primarily OPPO) was used with the VDA-2 or Benchmark DAC-1 handling the decoding.

What's the better option?? I really have no idea, but I like what I'm hearing with the external DAC. If cost is a big driver, a good DAC should be able to take care of you.

Keep in mind - I was using an old JVC dvd player only for music up till less than a year ago, so my experience is an extreme improvement.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM