Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#68259 - 07/15/08 02:15 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Quote:
Originally posted by ndskurfer:
slbenz -

Great review! Thanks for your insight. I have not done the analysis you have done. Now is tough, my system is in boxes and won't be unpacked till Labor Day (in transition of moving).

FAUguy - you can get the VDA-2 directly from their website for $599. Not sure on the price of the VAC-1, I think I paid around $180?? Is it worth it? I don't know, haven't ever used the wal-wart. I have the SB3 power supply as well. I like the idea of using an external DAC, but I'm using a FLAC transport (SB3) rather than a CD transport (Adcom). I have read many reviews where a DVD player (primarily OPPO) was used with the VDA-2 or Benchmark DAC-1 handling the decoding.

What's the better option?? I really have no idea, but I like what I'm hearing with the external DAC. If cost is a big driver, a good DAC should be able to take care of you.

Keep in mind - I was using an old JVC dvd player only for music up till less than a year ago, so my experience is an extreme improvement.
My question is how does the VDA-2 external DAC stack-up to the 990's DAC (in bypass mode)?

#68260 - 07/15/08 03:23 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
ndskurfer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Bismarck, ND
I don't have an answer. I think slbenz review gives us a great indication of the capabilities of the DAC in his set up. Hopefully I can run a comparison once I jump on an Outlaw Pre/Pro in the coming months.

#68261 - 08/04/08 05:15 PM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Quote:
Originally posted by FAUguy:
Quote:
Originally posted by slbenz:
[b] Ndskurfer,

Check out my review on Epinions that compared the CIA VDA-2 with and without the VAC-1 to the Benchmark DAC1 and other DACs: http://www0.epinions.com/content_256272928388

Hope it helps.

Slbenz
Interesting review.
Which CAL Audio Labs DAC did you use (Sigma or Alpha)?
The one I had before was the Sigma-II, but found the "Upsample" on the 990 to sound better, so sold the DAC two years ago.

This week I have replaced my older B&W DM603 spekaers with the B&W 804S and HTM3S center. They are stil going through the "break in" process, but I have noticed that high-frequencies are sounding a bit too harsh when using the Upsample mode on the 990. Because of this, I have changed over to Bypass (even though it seems like there is less "detail" in doing so).

I might be interested in trying a new DAC since my new spekaers are much better quality and more revealing.

How much is the VDA-2 DAC by it self, and how much more is the upgraded VAC-1 power supply? [/b]
Sorry for the delay in replying. Haven't checked out the Outlaw forum recently. To answer your question, I think the CAL DAC my friend let me use for the comparison was a Sigma. It was about ten years old is what my friend said. The CIA VDA-2 can be purchased at $599 and the upgraded VAC-1 is a worthwhile investment. It adds more punch to bass and extends the mids and highs without any harshness. To compare the CIA combo to the 990's internal DACs is an unfair comparison and is why I always ran the 990 in bypass mode. The CIA's DACs are the very finest from TI and are found in top-end players like the $6000 Ayre SACD player. I found that having the upsampling mode on the 990 added harshness and lost some of the detail and punch to the music vs. bypassing and using the CIA DAC alone. This is to be expected especially since the CIA combo and an upgrade power cord can equal or exceed the cost of a 990. Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in response.

#68262 - 08/05/08 03:55 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b] Ndskurfer,

Check out my review on Epinions that compared the CIA VDA-2 with and without the VAC-1 to the Benchmark DAC1 and other DACs: http://www0.epinions.com/content_256272928388

Hope it helps.

Slbenz
Interesting review.
The one I had before was the Sigma-II, but found the "Upsample" on the 990 to sound better, so sold the DAC two years ago.

This week I have replaced my older B&W DM603 spekaers with the B&W 804S and HTM3S center. They are stil going through the "break in" process, but I have noticed that high-frequencies are sounding a bit too harsh when using the Upsample mode on the 990. Because of this, I have changed over to Bypass (even though it seems like there is less "detail" in doing so).

I might be interested in trying a new DAC since my new spekaers are much better quality and more revealing.

How much is the VDA-2 DAC by it self, and how much more is the upgraded VAC-1 power supply? [/b]
Sorry for the delay in replying. Haven't checked out the Outlaw forum recently. To answer your question, I think the CAL DAC my friend let me use for the comparison was a Sigma. It was about ten years old is what my friend said. The CIA VDA-2 can be purchased at $599 and the upgraded VAC-1 is a worthwhile investment. It adds more punch to bass and extends the mids and highs without any harshness. To compare the CIA combo to the 990's internal DACs is an unfair comparison and is why I always ran the 990 in bypass mode. The CIA's DACs are the very finest from TI and are found in top-end players like the $6000 Ayre SACD player. I found that having the upsampling mode on the 990 added harshness and lost some of the detail and punch to the music vs. bypassing and using the CIA DAC alone. This is to be expected especially since the CIA combo and an upgrade power cord can equal or exceed the cost of a 990. Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in response. [/b]
Thanks for the info.

Since I got my new B&W 804S speakers a few weeks back, I've been runing the 990 in Bypass mode, as the Upsample was sounding to "harsh" in the upper frequencies.

I've been debating on geting the Channal Islands VDA2/VAC1 to use with my Adcom CD charger (about 9 years old), or to replace the Adcom with a higher-end CD/SACD player (such as the Marantz SA-11S2).

Buying the VDA2/VAC1 would cost less, and I can keep the convience of a 5-disc changer. I'm just wondering how it would sound compared to the Marantz player.

#68263 - 08/08/08 03:58 AM Re: External DAC to 990 for Music?
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Quote:
Quote:
[b]
Quote:
[b]
quote:
Ndskurfer,

Hope it helps.

Slbenz
Interesting review.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Haven't checked out the Outlaw forum recently. To answer your question, I think the CAL DAC my friend let me use for the comparison was a Sigma. It was about ten years old is what my friend said. The CIA VDA-2 can be purchased at $599 and the upgraded VAC-1 is a worthwhile investment. It adds more punch to bass and extends the mids and highs without any harshness. To compare the CIA combo to the 990's internal DACs is an unfair comparison and is why I always ran the 990 in bypass mode. The CIA's DACs are the very finest from TI and are found in top-end players like the $6000 Ayre SACD player. I found that having the upsampling mode on the 990 added harshness and lost some of the detail and punch to the music vs. bypassing and using the CIA DAC alone. This is to be expected especially since the CIA combo and an upgrade power cord can equal or exceed the cost of a 990. Hope this helps and sorry for the delay in response. [/b]
Thanks for the info.

Since I got my new B&W 804S speakers a few weeks back, I've been runing the 990 in Bypass mode, as the Upsample was sounding to "harsh" in the upper frequencies.

I've been debating on geting the Channal Islands VDA2/VAC1 to use with my Adcom CD charger (about 9 years old), or to replace the Adcom with a higher-end CD/SACD player (such as the Marantz SA-11S2).

Buying the VDA2/VAC1 would cost less, and I can keep the convience of a 5-disc changer. I'm just wondering how it would sound compared to the Marantz player.

I would say that is a tough call. I also own a Marantz DV-9600 which uses the same DACs as the SA-11S2. There are times I like the CIA over the Marantz and there are times I like the Marantz over the CIA. But one thing is for sure, the Marantz sounds great on SACD and DVD-A that the CIA can't play. Unfortunately, that is the best I can do for feedback. You may need to post your request on Audio Asylum or Audiogon. There are definitely people there with SA-11S2 experience and CIA experience.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 256 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM