but to enjoy the functionality and video switching Matt would have to step up. That's the point.

digital chips/software/integration have gotten better. So yes - in the digital world - processors have gotten better and have been progressing like computers.
The steering in movies would be better presented.

Fundamentals like amps have not made the same changes as Altec mentioned. Speakers have been refined..... no breakthrough...

Matt... Yes you will get better processing and more functionality w/in your system. Do you have an XBOX360 or Playstation3 - HDTV of some sort?
all this plays into functionality.

Sound.... this is up to you. Are there happy customers w/ Outlaw 990? Yes.
Have there been owners of other equipment a little miffed when a 990 is compared very positively to it? Especial given the price of the 990? Yes.

Does it sound better than your current gear... i can not give an opinion because i have not heard the Parasound unit.

I do know that there are a wide range of systems that use the 990. There is a thread around here somewhere w/ users/owners and there systems.

I know i'm happy. Would i buy equipment made in the 90's? For 2 channel - you bet!
for surround - no.

just my 2 cents.....