Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#67460 - 01/31/08 08:52 AM Re: HTPC + DVD-Audio = Problems
miked Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: saint louid
Now that I finally got it working right, I looked into buying some music. The selection is not all that impressive. Seal - Not 96Khz. Led Zeppelin - Terrible recording. Fleetwood Mac - some other band (I am so pissed off, what a waste of money). Fleetwood Mac - the band I like and not a good recording. I found a couple that were good: Abbado and Queensryche. Geoff Tate's solo album got good review so I suppose I'll buy that one. It seems classical is the best bet for quality. Not really my bag, baby.

#67461 - 01/31/08 01:46 PM Re: HTPC + DVD-Audio = Problems
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
990 won't convert DSD , you've got to convert at the source and transfer an analog signal.
After initial broad coverage, IT appears that SACD and DVD-A went after diferent markets, Classics and some Jazz on SACD and pop on DVD-A.
With pop music lovers becoming enthralled with Ipods and downloads, it probably wasn't a good time for DVD-A to be trying to compete for equipment and media dollars and that was pretty much the end of that.
I don't get into much pop music, but I did run into a few titles that I thought were awfully good while DVD-A and DTS discs were alive and kicking, Sting, Clapton and the Doors come to mind. I thought Bela Fleck's " Tales from an Acoustic Planet" was great as was the Buena Vista Social Club album , though I'm not sure what genre these would fit in.
SACD has never been a general market sucess but with domestic companies like Telarc a healthy flow of European imports, I would see SACD surviving as a medium for audiophil Classical music and jazz lovers. In fact, a few weeks ago, I searched Amazon for SACD and was amazed to see that the search found over 3000 selections.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#67462 - 01/31/08 04:52 PM Re: HTPC + DVD-Audio = Problems
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Quote:
I think there is something wrong with my 990 and of course it is out of warranty.
That's not possible - the warranty on the 990 (according to the user manual that I just double-checked) is five years, and the 990 has only been in production for just over two and a half years. Have you talked to Outlaw support about what you are encountering?
Quote:
Is the 990 compatible with SACD DSD?
The only digital connections which are approved to carry a DSD signal are IEEE-1394 (firewire, which never caught on in the industry) and HDMI v1.2.
Quote:
Now that I finally got it working right, I looked into buying some music. The selection is not all that impressive.
If you are talking about buying DVD-Audio software, you are a few years too late. There was never a huge catalog available, but I haven't heard of a new DVD-Audio release in almost three years. There have been some titles mis-identified as such (Rush has a DVD version of their latest album that was briefly publicized as being DVD-A, but it was actually just a DVD with PCM stereo and DD 5.1 tracks), and some early dual disc releases used DVD-Audio for one side (although that didn't last long).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 222 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM