Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#67405 - 01/25/08 06:32 PM Windows Vista & Upgrade
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
I recently started having Bass issues, decided to download upgrade. I get a message each time it is unsuccessfull.
Is this download not compatable with Widows Vista ?

If download is not compatable with Vista, what are my options?
Thanks
Bill

#67406 - 01/25/08 07:31 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Vista is nothing if not messy about compatibility with older programs. Don't ask how much grief I had getting AutoCAD to run on a co-worker's Vista box or how much of a pain it was not to be able to get my HVAC load calculation program to run under Vista beta.

If Vista doesn't work with the update, the most likely option is to find a non-Vista PC. I'm hanging onto my wife's old Dell laptop (running WinME, ack) largely for this sort of stuff.

#67407 - 01/25/08 08:48 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

I finaly called customer support, they tried E mailing me the download with out luck. They are sending me a CD for the download.
I have an older computer with to many issues to enumerate. It failed at this task also. Hopefully the CD will do it !

#67408 - 01/26/08 12:14 AM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Vista is nothing if not messy about compatibility with older programs. Don't ask how much grief I had getting AutoCAD to run on a co-worker's Vista box or how much of a pain it was not to be able to get my HVAC load calculation program to run under Vista beta.

If Vista doesn't work with the update, the most likely option is to find a non-Vista PC. I'm hanging onto my wife's old Dell laptop (running WinME, ack) largely for this sort of stuff.
Let me second that. I can't stand Vista! Microsoft was fully asleep when they created it.

Slbenz

#67409 - 01/26/08 03:59 AM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I have to agree that Vista is not worth it.
I've been a MS beta tester since 1997, and Vista is the worst OS they've come out with so far.

I can't get half of my programs to work correctly with it.
Not to mention that my Audigy2 ZS Platinum sound card still has driver issues.

I have Vista installed with the SP1 RC2, but I still use XP 99.9% of the time.

#67410 - 01/26/08 12:34 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
Quote:
Originally posted by mahansm:

PS. The omission was that the instructions did not say to press the "upgrade" button when it was obvious that it was the next step.
Quote:
Originally posted by bestbang4thebuck:

Allowing for the fact that ...

1) the 990 update software is not officially supported for use on the Vista OS,

2) your experience my be different from mine for various reasons,

... In my experience it is possible to successfully perform the upgrade to version 3.11 using a USB cable and a PC with the Vista Home Premium operating system.*

Other than clicking the 'update' button (later in the process) as [b]mahansm
mentions, I had only one thing to contend with that was not already covered in the instructions. When it was time for the installation software to find the .inf file, I could not successfully find the folder containing the file by merely using the 'browse' button in the software installation prompt window. In a separate window I opened, I checked to make sure I could view hidden folders and navigated manually to the correct folder. After finding the proper folder on my own, I merely copied the location character string from my separate window and pasted it into the installation software prompt window. I then closed my separate window and continued with the installation process.

Edit: *The PC was Intel Core 2 Duo based, Vista running 32-bit, not 64. [/b]

#67411 - 02/03/08 01:01 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

I have failed once more. I get all the way to the actual downloader but ultimately get the " Outlaw Restart" box.I feel as if it is something that I am doing wrong.
Outlaw sent me a CD which is what I used on the Vista system.
With the CD they sent a very nice 12 CD folder. Pretty darn nice if you ask me.I'm starting to feel unworthy of there generosity.

#67412 - 02/06/08 07:28 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
openhelix Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Santa Clara, CA
Are you sure you changed the switch on the back to Service mode? FWIW, I used a Vista laptop for my last 990 upgrade and it worked fine.

#67413 - 02/06/08 08:04 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

Yes I am sure the switch is in the down position. When a dowload fails and I get the restart 990 message, I turn power off, then restart application from step 7.
I should say I have no idea what a Baudrate is in the port setting menu.
I have 3 USB cables connected together, two extension cables and the regular USB cable.This configuration works good for listening to music via computer to the 990.Could I run into a snag with this on a download to the 990 ?

#67414 - 02/06/08 08:41 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
mahansm Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Panama City, Florida
Possibly. There's a maximum length restriction on USB. I put my 990 next to my computer when I did the firmware upgrade and used a single cable. Of course, that was before I put it in the cabinet and connected it. If I were to upgrade it today I'd use a laptop and a short USB cable.
Kef 3005 surrounds
Samsung HL-67a750
Sony BDP-S301 Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-A2
Denon CD
Harmony 880
Comcast HD DVR with external drive
Nintendo Wii

#67415 - 02/06/08 10:02 PM Re: Windows Vista & Upgrade
Bill O Offline
Gunslinger

I'll give my wifes laptop another try with shorter USB .
Sometimes I just " stumble" into doing things correct on a computer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 185 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM