Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#672 - 01/15/02 03:54 AM Q's before buying a 1050 - speakers etc... please respond
loomis Offline
Gunslinger

Hi. I am thinking about buying a 1050 this week. But I do have a few questions that I hope you can answer for me.

First off, I have a pair of 1977 Advent loudspeakers as my mains. They are 8 ohms. I love them. My rears are M&K's, which are 4 ohms. Can the 1050 handle this and not be angry? What would I set the impedence swich on the back of the 1050 to, 4 or 8 ohms?

Secondly, has Outlaw fixed the S-video switching problems with the 1050?

Third, I have a stereo powered sub, how do I run that out of the single sub-out?

Fourth, and lastly, in your honest opinion, is the Outlaw better than either the Marantz SR-7000 / 8000, the Pioneer Elite VSX-33tx, or the Denon 2802?

Thank you very much,
Loomis

#673 - 01/15/02 11:57 AM Re: Q's before buying a 1050 - speakers etc... please respond
applejelly Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Syracuse, NY
I don't have the 1050, so I will only address what I can.

Most of the sound for movies and all for stereo will come from your mains. Thus, the 4 ohmers in back should be no problem for the 1050. Leave your Outlaw set for 8 ohms to match your mains.

The S-video problem with the 1050 has to due with passing/switching a video signal that is lower than the spec of 1V. There is no fix for this. The Outlaw is just less tolerant of out of spec video signals than most other receivers. The problems are on a case-by-case basis. You would have 30 days to try it out and see if you have a problem. Of course if you only have 1 S-video source, or enough S-video inputs on your TV, you can circumvent the problem and not use the Outlaw for switching. Less convenient, sure, but a solution IF you have a problem AND believe that the 1050 offers you a better value than anything else on the market.

When you say stereo sub, what do you mean? A sub with 2 RCA inputs instead of only one? Read your owners manual for the sub. You should just be able to plug the sub output from the receiver into one of the two inputs on the sub. If not, most receivers will give you fits. It shouldn't matter when the summing of the two channels occurs, in the receiver or in the sub.

Your fourth question I'll have to leave for the others.

#674 - 01/15/02 01:40 PM Re: Q's before buying a 1050 - speakers etc... please respond
Matthew Hill Offline
Desperado

Loc: Mount Laurel, NJ
The ICBM gives you the option to use stereo subs. It simply sends all the LFE output to both, and the crossover from each half of the room to one or the other. To do this, of course, you need an even number of subs.

#675 - 01/15/02 01:52 PM Re: Q's before buying a 1050 - speakers etc... please respond
MrSandman Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Charlotte, NC, USA
Currently, I am running 2 subs, both with stereo inputs. I had to split the signal at the 1050 with a y-adapter, run one interconnect to each sub and then another splitter at each sub. The second splitter is not 100% required, but with my Velodyne subs, the auto turn on feature works more consistently with both of the inputs being given a signal. If your sub either is more forgiving or you don't use an auto turn on feature, you can use either input on the sub. My set-up is running both subs in mono. Matthew Hill is correct that the only way current Outlaw product which allows stereo subs is the ICBM, which does add cost (but additional functionality besides the true stereo sub outputs) and should be evaluated before purchase. The PDF manual for the ICBM is pretty good and not too long of a download.

S.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 212 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM