Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#67058 - 12/18/07 03:57 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Tripp-Lite's line conditioners don't have as many separate filter banks as others like the Belkin PureAV models, but they do offer a lifetime warranty on the products.

I think most everyone else in the industry only offer 3 year warranties.

#67059 - 12/18/07 03:59 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
jsw3rd Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Denver, CO
Actually mzpro5 is probably right- There are LOTS of "commercial" grade units out there that most likely won't develop the problem- TrippLite makes good ones, but a visit to a good, local electrical distributor (Anixter, Graybar, WESCO, GESCO, CED) would probably be a good way to look over a number of brands & options- The commercial stuff usually isn't as "flashy" as the HT units, but will probably solve our problems.
When I bought & installed the Monster unit, my friends had a good time harassing me: "Yep, one can NEVER have too many LEDs!!". (Heavy sigh!)

#67060 - 12/18/07 04:13 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
mzpro5 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: The Northcoast
I just mentioned TrippLite as an example OTHER than Monster. (just happens to be what I use) As jsw3rd stated there are a number of fine alternatives that will do the job and save a bit for that extra Christmas shopping.

Can't remember the last time I spent the evening looking at my power conditioner. wink
Behringer A500
Samsung PN58A650, DirecTV HR-20 700
Sony CDP-545, Phillips CDR 765
Oppo BDP-93, Panasonic DMR E515
Technics SL-DL5
Squeezebox 3
Remote Harmony One

#67061 - 12/19/07 09:21 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Thanks for the information about commercial power conditioners. That is an entry that I will consider.
HOWEVER READ THE LATEST!!!!!!

The Christmas Fairy must be looking down on me this year.
I called Monster yesterday and I told them the problem and the fact that I dis-connected everything from the line conditioners and the HUM was still there with the conditioners being the only part of the home theater actively working. Hence the conditioners are emmitting the HUM!
Monster told me that if I have the receipts that they will replace the 3500 and 3600 absolutely FREE!!....If they are still within the five year term. If I do not have the receipts or the warranty is expired the cost will be $150.00 per unit to replace.
In either case the five year warranty will take effect once I receive the new line conditioners.

Is that Fantastic or what?
The conditioners that I have are at least between five and eight years old and looking into Panamax would have cost me between $500 to $800.00
If everything is as the person said yeasterday the cost will be around $200.00 with shipping, for both.
I have the receipt for the 3600 but not the 3500.

I am calling today at 11:30am EST since Monster is on the west coast.
This is like one of those to good to be true scenes but I am hoping it is. I will fine out today.
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

#67062 - 12/19/07 10:06 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
BloggingITGuy Offline
Desperado

Loc: Beaverton, Oregon
Yeah, I've only dealt with their support on their remotes, but their support is pretty good from what I've seen.

Another reason why they are able to charge a premium for their offerings.

#67063 - 12/20/07 02:31 AM Re: the unrelenting HUM
Brandon B Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Louse Angeles, CA
Another fun source of mechanical hum in electronic devices : SCR chopping dimmers. I have a large balanced power/filter unit I built myself, which works very well. But whenever we run the toaster (which has such a "dimmer" for setting the toastine)ss, my power unit's transformer starts humming rather loudly (emitting noise, NOT putting noise into my audio chain). Not even remotely on the same breaker, so it is noise being injected into the whole house's system So if you have any of that type of dimming circuit, you might check it out too.

BB

#67064 - 12/21/07 08:39 AM Re: the unrelenting HUM
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
I too was getting a hum from my speakers but this morning I decided to try something. Awhile back my sub had a hum and I tried everything and I narrowed it down to my video cable from my sms1 to the 990. As soon as I removed it the hum was gone.The only thing new now was a dvd player I was using for cd purposes but I had the analog video out hooked into the 990 so I disconnected it and low and behold the hum was gone not only on that input but all of them.

I would suggest pulling out the video cables from the 990 and see what happens. I only pulled the analog video my dvi is still connected from my other dvd players.

#67065 - 12/24/07 08:55 PM Re: the unrelenting HUM
rubbersoul Offline
Desperado

Loc: folsom, pa.
Well HO-HO-HO thank God Christmas came a little early to my house. I spent numerous hours trying to fine this annoying hum, which only recently developed in my Home Theater....without success. Ready to throw in the towel I remembered a friend of my who is an electrician. I called him on Friday not thinking that he would have the time to come over that day but I thought I could set up an appointment for the following week.
His Christmas present to me was that he came over on Friday and spent five and half hours locating more than one problem. I am making a list below for everyone to out in there notebooks if anyone would have a similar problem. I thought that it might be helpful.

First was the outside grounding pole. I had one but with two grounding wires corroded. One was for the ciruict breaker box and the other for my home theater.
Second was that there was no ground wire connected to the incoming cable lines that were connected to two splitters.
Third was the cable bow itself. As soon as we connected the antenna the hum was back.
So we elimantated the cable box until the cable service comes to the house on Wednesday.
Fourth was the seperation of all Romax cables for a distance of six inches.

All of these problems were part of or a single issue of the annoyng, unrelenting hum.

I hope that if someone out there is having an issue with a hum that these facts help.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!!

Frank
B&W 803D2’s HTM3S DS7's
HSU Subwoofer
Mitsubishi 6800 Projector
Da-Lite Screen,
Oppo BDP93
Comcast
PS Audio DSD
Stack Variac
Kill-O-Watt
Nakamichi cables Audio 8 cables
Air-Server
Mac-Mini
ROON

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 157 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM