Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#66740 - 11/15/07 05:00 PM Component Switching Question
Bri1270 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Mass
Hi Guys, I have a question about component switching on my 990.

I use a CE labs 1x4 component video distribution amp. I recently bought a 2nd Xbox 360, and I was thinking that I could run both my cable tv and the xbox to the 990, and then run from the 990 component/monitor out to the CE labs amp, which then feeds my plasma and projector. I connected the cable box first and I couldn't get a picture on my plasma (didn't try the projector). So I figured the signal wasn't strong enough and aborted the idea. Well, when I connected the cable box back to the CE Labs amp and turned the tv on, the picture was messed up (pale faces, overly green saturation). I checked the cables to make sure I had everyting connected properly, and everything was right. I decided to try skipping the CE labs amp and went from the cable box to the TV and the picture was fine. I didn't want to try connecting the TV to the 990 because I was afraid that maybe the 990 toasted the CE Labs Amp, and I didn't want to take the chance with the plasma. Would it even be possible for the 990 to cook the Distribution amp?

I bought a similar amp at Rat Shack this afternoon to replace the CE Labs amo that got screwed up, so it's not a huge deal. I just don't understand what happened and why my plan didn't or wouldn't work.

Thanks

#66741 - 11/15/07 06:46 PM Re: Component Switching Question
psyprof1 Offline
Desperado

Loc: Santa Barbara, CA
Your description of the messed-up picture sounds like something I saw when I played a new DVD after re-connecting my Pioneer player. Turns out I'd mis-connected the component cables to the 990. I know you checked your connections but when you had a problem you were using two sets of component video cables (I think) and when you skipped the CE Labs amp you apparently only needed one set, and got a good picture. In such a case I'd suspect one of the cables in the set you didn't use the second time.

#66742 - 11/15/07 06:58 PM Re: Component Switching Question
Bri1270 Offline
Gunslinger

I'll double check the connections, but I'm pretty confident. I checked them a couple of times, but that doesn't mean I didn't mess up a couple of times. I also tried swapping out cables...three different sets, same results. I agree though, it looks exactly like having the cables crossed or one of them being bad.

#66743 - 11/16/07 11:50 AM Re: Component Switching Question
Bri1270 Offline
Gunslinger

Hooked the new RatShack amp up, and it's as good as new. I wonder what happened...Shouldn't my plan work?

Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM