Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#66720 - 11/12/07 11:35 PM New-Old DVI/HDMI switching problem
camtah Offline
Gunslinger

I just added a HTPC to my setup that includes a Pioneer DV59AVi and a HTV H20. The display device is
a Pany AE900 projector. The configuration prior to
the HTPC was the the DVD was connected directly to the AE900 via the HDMI and the H20 was connected via the component to the AE900.

With the addition of the HTPC which uses Component, I decided to use the 990 DVI switching capabilities. I purchased a couple of DVI-HDMI adapters and connected the DVD to DVI-1 and the H20 to DV-2.

My issue is that I cannot switch between the two devices. On power up, I can view whatever device I set it initially just fine. If I want to change to the other device..no picture. If I power down the 990, then it works on that input. Connecting either device to the projector works fine. All cables check out as well individually as well as the adapters. I can't understand why powering down the 990 fixes the issue, but if I power down the desired device and restart it does not. I though the DVI ports were cut through (switching). My equipment is a closet, so trying to pull the cables (instead of powering off the units) is a little more difficult to check. Any idea's?

On a side note, I could sure use another HDMI port, so I am wondering will the new Oppo switch help in this regard?

#66721 - 11/13/07 03:47 AM Re: New-Old DVI/HDMI switching problem
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
My best guess is an HDCP issue - the AE900 seems to be having trouble negotiating an HDCP handshake when switching. Does power-cycling the projector help?

#66722 - 11/13/07 06:19 PM Re: New-Old DVI/HDMI switching problem
camtah Offline
Gunslinger

I didn't try the projector because it takes a minute or two to cool down and I don't think I would like the "thermal" shock to the bulb if I constantly had to do this. In the past, I had a Pioneer VSX-74 prior to getting the 990. It had HDMI connections and I did not have this problem at all. I don't know
why the switching capability of the 990 DVI connections would have any effect but it seems to in my case. The only variables are the 990 and the DVI/adapters.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics