Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#66610 - 11/13/07 06:15 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
mgdurand Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Lafayette, LA, USA
Here is the information from the manual regarding the recommended clearance:

"18. If you install the apparatus in a built-in installation, such as a bookcase or rack, ensure that there is adequate ventilation. Leave 20 cm (8") of free space at the top and sides and 10 cm (4") at the rear. The rear edge of the shelf or board above the apparatus shall be set 10 cm (4") away from the rear panel or wall, creating a flue-like gap for warm air to escape."

The 12v trigger issue has been a pain. I assume that Onkyo figured that all would use the receiver's amps for the mains and a separate amp for the 2nd zone. This has been a rather perplexing problem and tried numerous solutions. Turning on the 2nd zone and trying to get the Outlaw triggered by the Onkyo that way was simply not desireable. It was late, but appeared that my rear surrounds were not being fed with that setup as when I did a test tone I did not get a tone from the rear surrounds. My late night reading of the manual appeared to me to indicate that with that arrangement I could use 7.1 for the main system. Possibly, they intended to have 7.1 with the receiver amps and not through the pre-outs. Kind of a bummer, but I have a spare 950 lying around and it triggers the 770 very well (obviously). Kind of a high tech trigger device but a lot less hassle than my alternatives (also, no additional cash outlay). Gonk put me onto a potential solution involving a Belkin PF60, but the discount place was out of stock, and this works for me. I envision using this only until Outlaw comes out with their new pre-pro with HDMI 1.3s and TrueHD and DTS-HD MA abilities next year (assuming that happens). This is a good interim solution for me and allows me to listen to the new formats with an excellent unit acting as a pre-pro through a much better amp than comes with the receiver (I have not used the receiver's amps but cannot imagine them comparing to the 770).

Hope that helps!

Mike
Mirage HDT Speaker System (LCR [OM-5s for L&R and HDT-F for center], SR, SL, SBR, SBL [HDT-Rs])
Dual SVS PB12-Plus Subs
Outlaw Audio Model 7900 Power Amp w/Dual Emotiva CMX-2
AudioControl BijouTM THX� Equalizer
Rega RP1 Turntable
Dual Panamax M5300-PM Power Conditioners
Dual Monster Power HTS 2500 Power Conditioners
Dual Monster Power HDP 1800 Power Conditioners
Clearplay Blu-ray Player
Motorola VIP1200 HD cable receiver
Logitech Harmony Elite Remote

#66611 - 11/13/07 04:17 PM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
butchgo Offline
Desperado

Loc: Southern Oregon coast
One thing you might try is getting an inexpensive 12VDC power supply from Radio Shack and putting a 3.5MM mono plug on it then plug it into your switched 120VAC outlets on the reciever. That way whenever the receiver is turned on the transformer will send a 12VDC signal to the amp.
Outlaw 7500 for LCR & L/R surrounds
1- Emotiva Mini X-A100 for rear surrounds
2- Outlaw LFM-1 EX subs
Oppo BDP-105 Blu-ray/DVD/SACD player
Outlaw LCR (Snell Labs) for center channel duty
Tekton Lore monitors L/R
4- Emotiva ERD-1s surround speakers
Monster HTS3600MKII power center

#66612 - 11/13/07 06:51 PM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
mgdurand Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, butchgo. I kind of like that. Not being an electrical expert by any means I cannot picture the physical setup in my mind, but may take a look around to see what I can see.

It sure was nostalgic to see the old 950 hooked up again. Quite a nice little unit. I remember how excited I was when I first put it into my system with the 770.

Thanks!

Mike
Mirage HDT Speaker System (LCR [OM-5s for L&R and HDT-F for center], SR, SL, SBR, SBL [HDT-Rs])
Dual SVS PB12-Plus Subs
Rega RP1 Turntable
Clearplay Blu-ray Player

#66613 - 11/13/07 07:04 PM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
It's a very good suggestion - I've seen it mentioned before and forgot about it, although now that I think about it I think it's even included in some of Outlaw's amp manuals. Here's the blurb from the Model 7500 manual:
Quote:
If your processor or receiver does not have a dedicated trigger jack, it is still possible to activate the unit for automatic turn on when a Switched Outlet is available on the rear of the source device. To control the amplifier in this fashion you will need a small AC to DC power converter, capable of delivering a 6 to 12 volt DC signal. The DC voltage should terminate in a standard 3.5mm type mini plug. This type of converter may be obtained as a Power Adapter from many electronics retailers.

When installing, press the Main Power Switch on the front panel of the amplifier in so that it is in the ON position. Plug the AC adapter into a switched outlet that will be activated when you wish to have the amplifier turn on. This may be the switched outlet at the rear of an AC receiver or other audio equipment. Connect the 3.5mm mini-plug from the adapter to the trigger-input jack on the back panel of the amplifier. The amplifier will now turn on and off automatically, based on the status of the controlling device.
I'd forgotten about this trick, but it's definitely an option in your case, mgdurand. It might be worth a trip to Radio Shack to see what you can find.

#66614 - 11/15/07 05:53 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
Quote:
Originally posted by Daryl:
Here is something else to consider. Not all HD DVD and Blu-ray movies have those high definition audio formats. In fact, recently I looked at a few in Best Buy and none that I looked at had DTS-HD or TrueHD. They only had Dolby Digital Plus. So investing in the equipment to take advantage of those new audio formats may be somewhat of a waste of money.
Some do not but some do. I do not know the exact number of HD and BR DVDs that will have them, but it is realistic to stay that most new movies will. They will take advantage of the newer technologies.

Those audio formats are in place. HDMI specs are in place.

Other AV makers are releasing gear with HDMI v1.3 and the extra audio codecs in place. I relaize these companies have more resources ($ and people) but I sure hope Outlaw gets going on this quick.
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

#66615 - 11/15/07 05:54 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by matty1137:
What about waiting for a Blu-ray or HD DVD player that decodes all of the new formats, and then hooking it up to the 990/970 or other preamp/processor via the 5.1 or 7.1 multichannel analog inputs?...That is what I plan on doing...if I understand correctly, lossless audio decoded in the player should sound no different then if it were decoded in the processor or receiver...I understand that I would need a separate cable from my player to my display, but this is not a big deal to me...Also, the newer players that will decode all of these formats will have some form of bass management(although not as advanced as the 990 or 970).
If you have a HD and a BR player, you would need 2 sets of 7.1 inputs. Thats a lot of connections!
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

#66616 - 11/15/07 06:01 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Or get a player like Samsung's upcoming combo player - one set of 7.1 analog cables to support both formats.

#66617 - 11/15/07 06:04 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

The Onkyo 805 has all the audio codecs and 3 HDMI inputs for $629.00.

Onkyo has released several similiar AV receivers and with this kind of price, should sell a lot of these.

Purists (like us) will want a little more of "quality" in a product, and I am positive Outlaw will provide. Hopefully soon!

My guess is that with the recent drop in price of the 990, maybe Outlaw is trying to get rid of its inventory and th enew product will be out soon.

#66618 - 11/15/07 07:43 AM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
mgdurand Offline
Gunslinger

I picked up mine for that $629.00 price. I have to tell you, I am extremely surprised and pleased by it. I am not usig theamps and am using it only as a pre-pro for the new codecs and HDMI switching. Am keeping the Outlaw 770 in the chain for now, but sonically I cannot say it is inferior to the 990. Will be watching for the "new" 990 replacement, though!

Mike
Dual SVS PB12-Plus Subs
Rega RP1 Turntable
Clearplay Blu-ray Player

#66619 - 11/15/07 12:51 PM Re: Options for new high-def audio formats
grimster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Somewhere in Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
Or get a player like Samsung's upcoming combo player - one set of 7.1 analog cables to support both formats.
I have to agree with Gonk, I think Samsung as well as LG really made a smart move when building a combo player. I think Samsung is going to sell quit a bit of the 5000's for the simple fact that it has 7.1 analogs and alot of 990 owners may be jumping all over this, not to mention only having to deal with one HDMI connection and having both HD formats in one single player.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 306 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ Yesterday at 03:13 AM