Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#66438 - 10/16/07 08:00 PM Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hello everyone.

I purchased and installed a Maga Dynlabs, ST-2, FM antenna, on the roof of my house. As a result, some radio stations are now clear as a bell. Unfortunately, it's not high enough to clear the house to the south, nor the roof to the north. For these remaining stations, is there any way I could also use the supplied antenna to bolster the ST-2's weaknesses?

thanks,

John

#66439 - 10/18/07 04:34 PM Re: Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Anyone?

Would a cable splitter work?

thanks,

John

#66440 - 10/18/07 08:57 PM Re: Antenna Question
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
That is an awesome antenna. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Now let me see if I understand what you're asking:

You want to use the ST-2 in conjuction with the antenna supplied with your tuner/receiver? And you want to run both to a shared cable via a splitter?

Also, how did you arrive at the location for your ST-2? Did you randomly pick a spot on your house, or did you try various spots trying to optimize reception?
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

#66441 - 10/19/07 12:37 PM Re: Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Videodrome,

thanks for your response. Yes, with the supplied antenna, I was able to get some of the weaker, distant stations, which are to the north and south of me, but the ST-2 antenna location blocks the north and south views.

I didn't have much of a choice in the location of the antenna, as there's really only one spot I could put it, or, otherwise, I'd have to build some type of elevated mount and buy the extra cable to make up for the distance. This is why I'd like to marry the two signals, from the ST-2 and the supplied antenna. Is this a bad idea?

thanks,

John

#66442 - 10/19/07 01:18 PM Re: Antenna Question
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Not having tried anything like that, I can only speculate as to what the results would be. I would say that the ST-2 is far more powerful than the antenna supplied with your receiver, so the likehood it would bolster the signal seems remote.

In addition, the use of a splitter typically reduces signal strength. Then you'd have two incoming signals going to a shared cable into the receiver. Collectively, that could very well reduce the efficacy of one or both antennas.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give it a try, but my gut tells me it is not an ideal solution. But if you do try the experiment, please report back your results.

One more thing...

I realize you're somewhat locked into the current location for the ST-2, but it may surprise you that even slight adjustments to the angle of the antenna can yield different results. It is a real PITA, but what I have done in the past is to grab a pair of walkie talkies and have someone sit in front of the receiver. I trek up to the roof, attic, etc. and tweak the location and/or angle of the antenna based on feedback from them.

You can try to go for a happy medium for all stations, or zero in on a favorite.
System Pics

#66443 - 10/19/07 01:56 PM Re: Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Videodrome,

thanks, these are all good recommendations.

The best solution would be to build an elevated platform, but that will have to wait until next year.

As for tweaking the angle of the thing, the way it's mounted would require more holes in the aluminum clad, facia board and I don't want to do that, either.

I agree with your assessment of the spliter. It's cheap enough to give it a try, however. If I do, I will report back.

Again, thanks for your advice.

John

P.s. yes, for those stations that the ST-2 pulls in, the difference is like night and day.

#66444 - 10/31/07 06:43 PM Re: Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Videodrome,

just thought I'd report back and happily confirm that by using the cable spliter, in conjunction with both the ST-2 whip antenna and a 12' length of speaker wire, I've been able to receive the majority of stations I've been seeking. Right now, we're experiencing stormy weather and so I anticipate further improvement in reception, once the storm has passed.

So, yes, it's possible to use a cable spliter for combining signal sources.

John

#66445 - 10/31/07 08:02 PM Re: Antenna Question
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

That's an interesting experiment and an even more interesting outcome. Thanks for the report back and glad to hear things are working well for you.
System Pics

#66446 - 11/01/07 12:24 AM Re: Antenna Question
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Thanks, Videodrome!

John

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics