Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#66433 - 10/16/07 01:19 AM Should I be using DVI cables for best picture?
Subw00er Offline
Gunslinger

I have the Outlaw Audio 990 Preamp (which does my video switching from various sources): [url= http://"http://www.outlawaudio.com/images/990-back-huge.jpg"]Click for big picture of it[/url]

And the DiLA Dukane 9017 projector (which is the same as the JVC SX21U).

Is the best cable for me to use a DVI cable? Component would be a downgrade, correct? I dont have an HD sources now, but will probably buy a HD Directv box soon.

Also, will all of my svideo sources upconvert to DVI properly? I am currently using all svideo/optical but am adding this projector, so I am trying to determine the best possible setup now.

Thanks.

#66434 - 10/16/07 02:44 AM Re: Should I be using DVI cables for best picture?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Here's the low-down on the 990's video switching:

• Composite video Inputs: Available at the composite, s-video, and component video outputs. Also, will have setup menu and "pop-up" data overlaid onto video input.
  • S-video Inputs: Available at the composite, s-video, and component video outputs. Also, will have setup menu and "pop-up" data overlaid onto video input.
  • Component video Inputs: Available at component video output. Setup menu will be available, but will be on black background (replacing input).
  • DVI video inputs: Available at DVI video output. No menu data available.

Having said all that, we need to know what sources you have to know what connection to recommend to you. Also, it'd be useful to know if the DVI input has HDCP support.

#66435 - 10/16/07 12:54 PM Re: Should I be using DVI cables for best picture?
Subw00er Offline
Gunslinger

Oh thats a huge bummer then. So I can only see true HD if I am using a source with a dvi output? I hear component doesnt carry 1080 HD?

My sources are a Sony ES DVD player and a Hughes Directv box. The Sony will do component or svideo and the Hughes will only do svideo. I am thinking of upgrading the Hughes soon to a HD model which will have HDMI, so I could use a hdmi-dvi cable to hook that up.

#66436 - 10/16/07 01:19 PM Re: Should I be using DVI cables for best picture?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
No, component video can carry HD. I'm watching it right now. Composite video is limited to 480i, as is s-video.

At present, you have no HD sources. You could connect both the Sony and DirecTV boxes to the 990 (I'd use component from the Sony and s-video from DirecTV), then connect the 990's component output to the projector. DVD is not an HD format, and while some players will output HD resolutions it is still a scaled up image from a 480-line source (and in most cases that upscaling is limited to the DVI or HDMI output rather than component).

Before you run a DVI cable to the projector, make sure that it supports HDCP. If it does not, you will not be able to use HDMI sources with it because they won't be able to establish an HDCP handshake with it and will thus not output video. If that is the case, you can still use component out of an HD satellite box - just don't want to see you run a DVI cable to the projector that you can't use.

#66437 - 10/16/07 02:16 PM Re: Should I be using DVI cables for best picture?
Subw00er Offline
Gunslinger

Ok thanks for the great info Gonk.

I thought there was some limitation of using component cable for HD instead of DVI/HDMI.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 104 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics