Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#65812 - 08/01/07 03:46 PM Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Northern California
Been happily using my new Outlaw 990 for almost two weeks now. Had a chance to extensively compare it to my Channel Islands Audio VDA-2 external DAC with matching CIA VAC-1 power supply. I am quite surprised that the DACs within the 990 sound very similar, if not the same as my CIA components. Once in upsample mode, all my reference discs that I use have a very similar sonic signature to my CIA components. My Outlaw 990 is making me think of selling all my CIA components to simplify my system. Anyone else out there with similar or dissimilar experiences using an external DAC and what external DAC you used to compare?

#65813 - 08/01/07 06:29 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
I compared the 990 to a Benchmark DAC-1. Read my comments here: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/hifi-audio-components/4340-benchmark-dac-1-review.html

#65814 - 08/01/07 06:34 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

After just re-reading my post linked above, I see I noted that I was looking to audition a CI VDA-2. I never go to that, and ended up with a Cary Cinema 11, for whatever it's worth...

#65815 - 08/01/07 07:22 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Otto,

Thanks for the link. Funny you mention the Benchmark DAC-1. I had a chance to compare it to my CIA DAC and thought the CIA was slightly smoother sounding than the Benchmark. I guess what I should do instead is compare the sound with/without the CIA on my Sony megachanger instead of my Oppo universal player. I remember auditioning several DACs with the Oppo as a transport and until I reached the CIA, Benchmark price point, less expensive DACs like the DIYEDEN, California Audio Labs and MSB Link DAC III, didn't add to the sound of the Oppo.

#65816 - 08/01/07 08:13 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
Jason J Offline
Desperado

Loc: Northern Garden State
I just wanted to add one little thought to your discussion.

It sounds, pardon the pun, like you have auditioned quite a few different DACs in your system. In my experience, the change to my system that impressed me the most was adding in a separate CD transport. I got very lucky and was able to get my hands on an Altis CDT I transport. The difference between using the Altis versus my Sony DVD/SACD player, just as a transport, was jaw-dropping. My system sounds completely different with just changing that one component.

Here's a link to a review that I read recently about a lower priced CD player/transport that reviewed favorably compared to some more expensive competition. (I have no experience with the piece mentioned so your experience may vary.)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0607/cec_cd3300r.htm

#65817 - 08/01/07 08:29 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
FAUguy Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: FL
I used a Cal Audio Labs Sigma-II DAC for 10 years with my system.
When I got the 990 last year and used it in Upsample mode, I no longer needed to use the Sigma-II DAC.
I did some listening comparisons, and the 990 in Upsample sounded better than using the DAC.
So I sold my Sigma-II on eBay a few months ago.

#65818 - 08/01/07 09:02 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason J:
I just wanted to add one little thought to your discussion.

It sounds, pardon the pun, like you have auditioned quite a few different DACs in your system. In my experience, the change to my system that impressed me the most was adding in a separate CD transport. I got very lucky and was able to get my hands on an Altis CDT I transport. The difference between using the Altis versus my Sony DVD/SACD player, just as a transport, was jaw-dropping. My system sounds completely different with just changing that one component.

Here's a link to a review that I read recently about a lower priced CD player/transport that reviewed favorably compared to some more expensive competition. (I have no experience with the piece mentioned so your experience may vary.)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0607/cec_cd3300r.htm
Jason,

Thanks for the link. I suspect it is a bit of everything. Yes, I did have a chance to listen to a number of DACs in my system but that was with a Parasound AVC-1800 processor prior to me purchasing the Outlaw 990. When I used my Sony 200 disc megachanger as the transport, every external DAC I used had a different sonic signature that sounded better than the Sony by itself. It was when I tried my Oppo 970, I didn't hear a distinct difference until trying the CIA or Benchmark. There is something to be said when using a good transport in one's system. I just wonder if the Outlaw's DACs are the sonic equivalent of the CIA which would explain why I do not hear any difference between the two. This would make the Outlaw 990 an even better value than it already is.

#65819 - 08/01/07 10:59 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Hey there,

Were you able to A/B them directly using two different inputs and a level matched system? The Benchmark allowed that because it has the volume control. Not sure about the CI...

Good discussion.

#65820 - 08/02/07 12:48 AM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
slbenz Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Hey there,

Were you able to A/B them directly using two different inputs and a level matched system? The Benchmark allowed that because it has the volume control. Not sure about the CI...

Good discussion.
Otto,

I was only able to do that comparing whatever DAC I was using against the original transport's signal. Had to swap out DACs in order to compare. Luckily, I had a couple of friends over listening as well and agreed with me on the results of the Benchmark vs. the CIA and helping with the swap outs of DACs. The CIA does not come with a volume control. We had to use a sound level meter and compensated for any sound level difference each of the DACs we tested may have. Out of all the ones we tested, the DIYEDEN Great March had about 1 dB greater output than all the rest while the others we spot on with each other, if I remember correctly. When I have a chance later this week, I'll share my findings with my Sony megachanger as the transport. It uses a linear power supply vs. the Oppo's switching power supply. Then I'll know if I keep the CIA or sell it. Thanks for asking.

#65821 - 08/02/07 02:09 PM Re: Outlaw 990 vs. External DAC Comparison
Kwok C Lau Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Basking Ridge, NJ,USA
Hi Guys,
For CD stereo listening,I am using a very old LD player as CD transport, linked with a Parasound DC converter, then go analog bypass at my 990.

This path appears better than the up sampling or DA converting from the 990. Appears to me that the 990 sounds a bit "digital" than a high end
DA Converter if we can get.

Kwok Lau.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 312 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM