Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#65677 - 07/19/07 05:07 AM first impressions
dartfrog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new orleans, LA
greetings to all,
as i finally pulled the trigger and received the 990/7125 combo a week ago so i thought i'd finally chime in and join the discussion.

well, now that i've had some time to listen... first and foremost i'm impressed. a better $ for $ pair may not be available. lush full mids, and airy highs, bottom could use a boost (but that is more related to my lack of a sub for now). i was considering this pair as a move to seperates before our home here in N.O. was drowned nealy 2 years ago. Just simply worth the wait.

a question, as my 990 arrived before my 7125 i'd hooked up the 990 to a parasound stereo amp i've got to run the main pair and found that there are certain speaker set-ups that don't seem possible. I.E. large mains automatically selects small center although none exists. not that this is an issue since i've now got all 7 channels hooked up and stereo defeats the center anyhow. just very different setup from the marantz i'd previously owned.

also i'm sure that i need to reread the manual, but just in playing with the auto setup several times, for kicks, i don't to get the same or even similar prameters about half the time? is the auto routine overly sensitive to outside noise?

best to all,
sean
outlaw 990/7125
vampire wire interconnects
transparent the wall+ speaker cables
def tech UIW RLSII L&R
def tech pro center 1000
def tech UIW 64A surrounds(4)
rotel rdv-1092

#65678 - 07/19/07 11:55 AM Re: first impressions
taylodr Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Richmond, VA
Congrats on your purchase!
I know what you mean about the auto setup. I even mounted the mic on my camera tripod and positioned it just so...
I'll be honest, I ditched it and adjusted it by ear.
Welcome to outlaw though, there are a ton of guys here on this board that cn answer just about any question you throw out there.
Dustin
Monitor Audio LCR
Philips Ambilight 42" HD Plasma
Project Debut III

#65679 - 07/19/07 02:10 PM Re: first impressions
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Dartfrog,
Welcome to the hideout.
I found the auto calibration pretty sensative. Since i have a tough room for calibration, i stick to all manual using a sound meter.

I hope life has some sense of normalcy.....

#65680 - 07/19/07 02:48 PM Re: first impressions
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Welcome to the saloon, dartfrog, and I'm glad to hear that you've got the system up and running and are enjoying it. Like tmdlp, I hope that you've been able to get a bit of normalcy and routine back into life.

There is a quirk with the 990 that for some reason won't allow both the center and the side surrounds to be disabled at the same time. The auto-setup can be a bit finicky at times, although I've been able to achieve somewhat reasonable repeatability with the mic on a tripod on teh couch and nobody else but me and the cats at home. Anyway, if questions crop up, you know where to find us. smile

#65681 - 07/23/07 04:58 AM Re: first impressions
dartfrog Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: new orleans, LA
thanks all,
i'll certainly be about a few time a week, to read up on anything that might pop up.

as for life getting back to normal, that's always been a relative issue here in N.O. however finally getting back into our home is certainly a shot in the arm.

be well always,
sean
outlaw 990/7125
vampire wire interconnects
transparent the wall+ speaker cables
def tech UIW RLSII L&R
def tech pro center 1000
def tech UIW 64A surrounds(4)
rotel rdv-1092

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
scoooter 2
butchgo 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics