Topic Options
#65505 - 06/09/07 04:09 PM Satellite Tuners
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hi,

Yesterday I had a chance to listen to a system which included one of these:

http://www.magnumdynalab.com/xmtuners-overview.htm

I'm sure there are many choices, in terms of products.

My question is: do any of you have experience with satellite radio and, if so, how do you like it, do you think it's a worth while investment?

thanks,

John

#65506 - 06/09/07 08:05 PM Re: Satellite Tuners
cp1966 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Minneapolis
I have Directv, which includes some XM channels. I dont listen to them very often though, just periodically.

The sound is good, but I have no experience in something like this.
Panasonic TC-P65S1 65" Plasma HDTV, Marantz AV 8801 Preamp, Outlaw 7700 Amp, Klipsch RF7 (X-over dean G modded) RC7 (X-over Dean G modded) RS7 CDT-5800C speakers, Outlaw LFM1 EX Subwoofer, Oppo BDP-93, B & O Turntable, Toshiba HD-A2, Sony CD & DVD 400 disc jukeboxes, DirecTV HD-DVR, PS2, PS3, Wii, Harmony one remote, Monster PowerBar 1200 for the TV, sub, PS3, HD DVD and Wii, Tripp Lite Isolation Bar for the Amp, Pre-Amp and other sources.

#65507 - 06/10/07 02:08 AM Re: Satellite Tuners
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
I just hooked up a syrius tuner to my 990 because I coould not get fm reception, sounds great to me, I also have it in my car so for about 20 bucks a mmonth for the 2 hook ups isnt bad

#65508 - 06/10/07 02:53 PM Re: Satellite Tuners
Otto Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Longmont, Colorado
Hey Dr_JB,

I have a Sirius "Sportster", which is one of the portable receivers. I bought it about 2.5 years ago, and I only use it in my home system. Sound quality is OK, but you can tell it's lossy. We primarily use it for background music in the house when we don't feel like making a playlist. It's on a lot of the time.

Sometimes we complain that the music is repetetive. Of course, that goes for terrestrial radio as well, and perhaps we don't notice the repetition there because we simply don't listen for long periods. Fortunately, when you get tired of one format on XM, you can switch to something totally different.

Between Sirius and my Dish DVR, I really can't tolerate all the commercials on "regular" TV and radio. That's definitely a huge benefit for me and my wife; we just don't do commercials anymore.

So, if you're looking for high-quality audio, XM probably isn't the best choice. I'm sure that the device you pointed to in your original post has better processing and DACs, so I would expect to see an improvement there, but you're still dealing with a compressed format from the beginning. If you are looking for background music and a large selection of formats and tracks, give it a shot. If you don't want to make the initial investment for a receiver, I'm sure you could pick one up on eBay for a reasonable price and just give it a try. Then, if you like it, upgrade the receiver.

Bottom line -- we've been paying $11 a month (or whatever) for quite a while, and never really consider getting rid of it.

#65509 - 06/11/07 02:21 PM Re: Satellite Tuners
RCF051 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington DC
We have XM and the Polk XRT12 tuner, plus XM in one car. I agree with Otto that for background music it is good (and I think with the Polk it sounds about as good as it is going to get) and near-CD in most cases, but it is not lossless. The plus side is the huge seletion of music played. A downside is that XM continues to adjust its channel and music mix, and has eliminated some channels (such as a Latin jazz one) that were our favorites. We now tend to use our Sonos system more (lossless recordings) for critical listening at home and the XM in the car.

#65510 - 06/11/07 08:45 PM Re: Satellite Tuners
evan Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: ny
I will also add that I just use it for backround music and also in the backyard for bbq's

#65511 - 06/12/07 10:40 AM Re: Satellite Tuners
trailertrash Offline
Gunslinger

I wouldn't spend that much on a tuner since you are starting with about a 128k bit stream. I have Sirius and I think it is actually less than 128k. It is good for background music but that is about it.

#65512 - 06/12/07 01:28 PM Re: Satellite Tuners
Videodrome Offline
Desperado

Loc: Fairfax Station, VA
Coming somewhat out of left field, IMHO, if you like the concept of commercial free radio, you can get a lot off the Internet. And unlike XM or Sirius, it's subscription free. There are literally hundreds of stations out there, with every genre and sub-genre you can think of.

I recently added a Squeezebox to my system. It will stream Internet radio as well as your CD collection. And there is a plug-in available that allows you to stream XM stations.

If you're sold on the Dynalab, I can tell you they have a solid, longstanding reputation in the tuner market.

On the other hand, if you're looking for more versatility, the SB offers more options and will also stream lossless formats, making it a good background music and critical listening solution.
Squeezebox -> Behringer SRC2496 -> Musiland MD10 DAC
Sota Sapphire; Marantz 10B;
Video: Hitachi 42HDS52A; Oppo 971H
System Pics

Who's Online
0 registered (), 112 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
REP, caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward
8714 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
butchgo 2
scoooter 2
Veeper 1
Forum Stats
8,714 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,330 Topics