Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#65442 - 05/27/07 12:03 PM How do I get stereo out?
Marc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Andover, MA
Can someone refresh my memory how to get the stereo monitor out to be active on my 990? I'm using mostly digital (optical) inputs from my components. But I have a whole house audio system (Russound) with one of its inputs as "Theater Room" so I'd like whatever is playing out the amp (770) to also feed over to the Russound.

I've messed around with trying to configure Zone 2 to do this, but that didn't work.

I know there's some trick to it that Outlaw Tech Support told me once, but I can't remember what it is and I don't think it's in the manual. Something to do with Video 1 out maybe?

Most of my components also have a stereo out that I could hook up in addition to the optical but where do they go and how do I relate them to each input? If I'm using Opt1 (for example), do I hook the corresponding stereo input to the Video 1 In stereo input (and so on)?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Marc

#65443 - 05/27/07 01:10 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
In order to get stereo out the answer to where you connect the ANALOG STEREO cables is to the corresponding analog stereo input jacks. So...if running a toslink or coax assigned to a specific input you should also connect your RCA's. This will allow the audio to be output thru zone 2.

Zone 2 does not "pick up" digital...only analog. So any analog signal which is fed to 990s analog input will appear on zone 2 output. BTW this is not true for record out. Video 1 does not...don't know why confused

So remember that if you are using a digital signal to feed a given 990 input simply also send an analog stereo signal to it.

Now, re: the Russound. I've never seen or played with one, but if it has an extra "line-level input" (an example would be labeled such as "aux" or "tape" or "tuner" or anything other than "phono" you can send the zone 2 output to it and control it with the little zone 2 remote.

HTH. let us know
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#65444 - 05/27/07 01:47 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
Marc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Nfaguys,

Thanks for the info. But if you use Zone 2, you manually have to select which input you want for Zone 2, independent of what Zone 1 has selected. I actually want the stereo output to FOLLOW Zone 1 so that whatever is going to the projector screen also goes to the whole house audio system.

I'm pretty sure this can be done without having to use Zone 2. Have you found that Video 1 Rec Out doesn't follow whatever input is selected?

As far as the Russound goes, I'm all set there. Simply there are six stereo inputs and six amplified stereo outputs and each control panel can select which input you want to go to its stereo output. One of the inputs is programmed as "Theater Room" but right now nothing comes out since I haven't gotten the 990 to do what I want it to.

Can you confirm that nothing comes out the Video 1 Rec Out (or some other output that tracks the input that's selected)?

Thanks!

Marc

#65445 - 05/27/07 02:56 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you are using the Video1 or Tape record output, those do follow the active input of Zone 1, but I think those outputs may only get the stereo analog input of the active source (similar to the way zone 2 works).

#65446 - 05/27/07 04:15 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
nfaguys Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maine
gonk wrote: If you are using the Video1 or Tape record output, those do follow the active input of Zone 1

Marc wrote: Can you confirm that nothing comes out the Video 1 Rec Out (or some other output that tracks the input that's selected)?

Two things, and perhaps I didn't understand what you meant. Actually the video-1 input did not follow into the REC-OUT
Millenium dts decoder;Digital Director
Players: Tascam CD01U/SonyCX455 x 3/DV955/BDP83
Old Sony 60" SXRD TV
Zone 2 (also liv-Room: listening to music while Mrs watches TV): Crown SL2 preamp/D40 Amp/Stax Headphones

My "Man-cave":
4 channel-only inline room. No TV (thank heaven)!!!
990/755/4-KEF 107s
Tascam CD01U/dts decoder/digital director
Alesis 16x4x2 mixer
Recorders Alesis HD24/ML9600/Crown CX844s/SonyDAT/Tascam DA38
Ham Radio Shack (KB1STH) ICOM/Yaesu/Drakes x 3

#65447 - 05/27/07 06:05 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
Marc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks guys. I think I just need to try it. My understanding is that "Video 1 Rec Out" (the output just above "Zone 2 Out") should follow the selected input as Gonk suggests. And I too believe this is only whatever is present on the analog audio (stereo) input for the selected input, even if I've told the receiver to use the Optical input as the source. But I'm not sure how this differs from "Record Out Tape", nor does it really matter if Video 1 Rec Out does the trick.

I think I just need to get a bunch of stereo audio cables and try it out...

Thanks for the help!

Marc

#65448 - 05/27/07 06:09 PM Re: How do I get stereo out?
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The "tape" and "video 1" record outputs will function identically (aside from the fact that "Video 1 Record" has a composite and s-video record output next to it). You could use either one for your purposes.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM