Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#65404 - 05/17/07 03:45 PM 990 auto setup and not related the hum
Mud B Wetdirt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

When I ran auto setup with my xover at 120hz all my speakers were set to small when I ran it at 200hz all my speakers were set to large is this normal?
Anyway I have now killed the 60hz hum after cabel managment, disconnecting componets, and everything else I could find on this board it was the RCA cables as soon as I hooked the balanced cabels it was dead quite. I use very senstive speakers average 106db/1w/1m and the hum was getting on my nerves btw I love my 990 still learning and having way too much fun

#65405 - 05/17/07 04:18 PM Re: 990 auto setup and not related the hum
AvFan Offline
Desperado

Loc: El Cajon, California
Welcome to the Saloon, Mud! Glad you found the solution to your hum problem. Do you think it was the cable arrangement alone that caused the problem or some outside source? I must admit I don't use the auto setup feature because it can produce some goofy settings. I break out the trusty Radio Shack SPL meter and manually set everything with good results. Enjoy your 990!

#65406 - 05/17/07 04:43 PM Re: 990 auto setup and not related the hum
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
Cable management has been a source of hum for me probably twice now, and that sort of interference is the sort of thing that balanced connections were developed to combat so it makes sense that the balanced cables helped.

Auto setup can be quirky with the bass management settings. My rule of thumb when using it is that channel trim and distance settings are pretty reliable (although I still sometimes dust off the SPL meter just to "tweak" a bit) but that bass management decisions are something that I am going to set on my own.

#65407 - 05/17/07 06:58 PM Re: 990 auto setup and not related the hum
Mud B Wetdirt Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

gonk I agree after auto setup I set the xover and been playing with the other settings. My front L/R speakers are bi amped with active xover top ones starts at about 100hz, bottoms are sub's. At first I had very little bass but as played around with settings the 990 came alive with bass. I mean the kind that thumps your chest, chair, walls and rattles the doors of the Franklin fireplace. All 10 of my speakers are horns and don't need much power -20 volume is close to being painful. In hind sight the first thing to do is use balanced cables. It would have saved weeks of trouble shooting. Now I can put my ear up to the speaker and dead quite.
AvFan the last thing I did was balanced cables and all is quite, at least I know I have no ground loop or ac or other problems the hard way.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM