Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#65342 - 05/03/07 04:17 PM Re: Trouble with digital formats
riceaterslc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Camp Humphreys, Korea
i am using a marantz DV9600. the only analog inputs i am using to the 990 is the direct 7.1 inputs from the player. for digital i am using coax digital cable. gonk: i do not see the PCM icon on the 990. i know the analog inputs are working properly because SACD's work without a problem.
the input type i have selected on the 990 for the player is coax input 1. still confused smile

#65343 - 05/03/07 04:39 PM Re: Trouble with digital formats
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
So with no analog connection to the DVD input, the DVD input set to use coaxial 1, and no "PCM" indicator lit up on the 990's front panel, we need to do a bit more troubleshooting. I'm downloading the DV9600 manual as I type this.

First step: try a DVD that you know has a DD 5.1 track and look at the indicators on the 990's front panel. "Dolby Digital" should be illuminated no matter what else is going on, and with a 5.1 source the speaker labels for left, center, right, left surround, right surround, sub, and LFE should all be illuminated (assuming you have at least a 5.1 system that includes all six of those speakers and the 990 is set up to use them). If this is not the case, it would be useful to know what indicators are on. Then do the same with a DTS 5.1 disc - everything should be the same except "Dolby Digital" will be off and "DTS" will be on.

I'm going to go poke through the DV9600 manual and see if anything suspicious catches my eye.

#65344 - 05/03/07 11:15 PM Re: Trouble with digital formats
gonk Offline
Desperado

I was talking to Lizard King on the way home this evening and he mentioned something about his Denon 3930 that reminded me of this issue (DTS track selected on the disc and NEO:6 the only option for DTS modes).

Check your HDMI audio settings. Is it set to two-channel downmix? If so, try changing to something else (either multichannel LPCM, bitstream, or even no HDMI audio - preferably one of the latter two) and give it another try. I'm afraid that the player might be ignoring the "bitstream" setting because it is downmixing to stereo to satisfy the HDMI output and then using that for all digital audio outputs.

#65345 - 05/03/07 11:54 PM Re: Trouble with digital formats
gonk Offline
Desperado

Page 54 of the manual lists the four choices for HDMI audio output: Auto, Multichannel PCM, two-channel PCM, and Off. Of those four, I'd suggest trying either Auto or Off to see if it resolves the problem with Dolby Digital and DTS signals via coaxial and optical output.

#65346 - 05/04/07 10:16 AM Re: Trouble with digital formats
riceaterslc Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Camp Humphreys, Korea
gonk,
thanks for all the replies. i was testing the system with one disk in particular. after testing a few other DD and DTS disks, they worked fine. this leads me to believe the problem is with the orignal test disk itself and not the player or 990. i still, however, can not figure out the 96/24 problem. guess that will be for another day. thanks to everyone for the tips

#65347 - 10/05/09 08:21 PM Re: Trouble with digital formats
edcrash1 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Fairfield, CT (Suburb of NYC)
I have been reviewing the various digital format discussions to see how best to manage digital formats on the 990. I admit that I am still at a loss as to what to do. One problem is that there are so many formats and so many automatic (rather than progamed) defaults that I really do not know what to anticipate (or rather I cannot remember what to do) from one session to another. Another problem is that my 990 is out of site in a cabinet and thus it is inconvenient and impracticable to have to open the cabinet each time to know what mode the 990 is currently in; and there are no discrete modes to select on the remote--only scroll-through menues that need the benefit of the front panel display.

Therefore, I have to open the cabinet each time to make sure the correct mode is selected.

In any event, I noted with interest Gonk's observation that "the 990 will remember separate settings for each input for each input format - including separate settings for Dolby 2.0 and Dolby 5.1 (so you could use PLII/IIx with Dolby 2.0 without doing so on Dolby 5.1)." If this is indeed the case, I have the following questions:

1. Are there any good cheat sheets for applicable digital modes setting forth options, preferred settings, as well as mandatory defaults modes?

2. Are there any discrete remote codes for each digital mode that I can program an individual button on my Universal remote (I have the MX810--which seemed the most intuitive for me when I was a true neophyte)?

3. Is there any discs out there that contain all the various formats on different tracks so I can default all my settings simply at once by switching tracks and then changing the default settings for that format on the 990 as Gonks suggests is the way it works?

4. Assuming 990 programed default digital settings work for each type of format being played as Gonk suggests, will the 990 automatically switch back and forth between the defaulted digital formats when formats change but no other changes are being made to the 9900--which is what I understand happens when watching cable TV and different formats are broadcast between stations and between programing and commercials?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Ed.
Apple TV w/750 gb HD music server
Universal MX-810
Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR
Blue Jeans Cables

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Who's Online
0 registered (), 239 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM