Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#65273 - 04/27/07 05:22 PM The 990 and LaserDisc
sehnzeleid Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
I was just curious about the 990's upsampling and bypass ability in terms of LaserDisc audio.

My LD player (Pioneer CLD-503) only has analog L/R outputs, so can will the audio benefit from the 990's stereo listening modes? Anyone have any experience with this?

I know it sounds like a "duh" question, but I find LD audio with my current H/K receiver rather lacking.

#65274 - 04/27/07 05:48 PM Re: The 990 and LaserDisc
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
LaserDisc could carry analog audio or stereo PCM digital audio. (It could do Dolby Digital, then called AC3, but it doesn't sound like your player supports that.) For the PCM tracks and an analog output from the player, the player's DAC will play a not-insignificant role in the audio quality. The 990 can offer a number of processing modes when using stereo analog input. Pro Logic IIx and DTS NEO:6 will both allow you to produce surround sound from those two tracks. Upsample will also work, in which case the 990 will take the output of its ADC and resample to 192kHz/24-bit; no surround processing will occur in this case. There's also Bypass, which will leave the signal in the analog domain all the way through the 990 such that the 990 serves solely as a volume control. You can even use 5-Stereo or 7-Stereo if you like.

#65275 - 04/27/07 05:54 PM Re: The 990 and LaserDisc
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I had a Pioneer LD player until a year ago, when I literally threw it in the dumpster. Although it had AC-3 RF digital output, the only way that I could have taken advantage of it was to purchase a RF demodulator that would cost more than a new Oppo DVD player. So all I was able (willing) to use was the analog outputs like you do. All my LaserDiscs sounded terrible in stereo, so I decided to make a clean break.

The short answer to your question is YES, your LD player should be able to benefit from the 990 either way.

If your player has AC-3 RF out, and you already have an RF demodulator. I would connect that to a COAX input on the 990 and you'll have a digital signal that can take full advantage of the 990.

Otherwise, you should be able to plug your LD player's analog connections to something like Aux IN. Off the top of my head, I believe only stereo modes and bypass will be available on stereo analog connections, and you will be able to apply bass management and speaker settings as explained in this table. I believe gonk might have more info on his web site, unless he wants to chime in.

#65276 - 04/27/07 05:55 PM Re: The 990 and LaserDisc
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
I need to type faster. I see gonk beat me to the punch.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 248 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
jamescuz, Zilla8d3, waferman, picnicjc, Hedoboy
8709 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Forum Stats
8,709 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,327 Topics
98,693 Posts

Most users ever online: 476 @ 12/28/22 08:54 PM