Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#65223 - 05/30/07 05:05 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
I think we're all very intrested in seeing this one resolved. I only amazed that none of us noticed this problem sooner.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#65224 - 06/03/07 04:15 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Missouri
If they're making a firmware update, I wish they could sneak in another little thingy. I continue to have issues with my 990 not locking on to a "Dolby Digital" signal so I am constantly hitting the "Dolby Modes" button to display what setting it is on.
I wish that you could set something to tell the 990 to always display the processing mode rather than the current input.
Sorry, probably shouldn't derail the thread wink

#65225 - 06/03/07 05:33 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
What the heck, let's derail this puppy for a second...

The problem with not locking onto DD signals seems a bit odd sounding to me. What does it do when it has a problem?

While we're derailed, a setting to briefly replace the input display with a scroll showing the incoming signal type (PCM stereo, DD 2.0, DD 3/2.1, DD EX, DTS 3/2.1, DTS ES, ...) and processing being applied (DD+PLIIx-Movie, ...) would be sort of neat. Similar to the way the 950 would show the incoming signal format briefly before reverting to showing the processing mode.

#65226 - 06/03/07 10:52 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Okay, when I hit "Dolby Modes" often it will say "Dolby Digital" as it should. But, sometimes it will say "Pro Logic" and if I quickly hit "Dolby Modes" again it will switch to "Dolby Digital" as it should've been in the first place. Then what is more odd is that if I subsequently hit "Dolby Modes" again it will not allow you to switch back to "Pro Logic" as though it is being forced on "Dolby Digital".
It will do this on a various high-def channels and if I try to navigate to another channel which is not a Dolby Digital broadcast, and then immediately flip back to the original channel that was giving me problems, for some reason it defaults just fine to "Dolby Digital", unlike what it did the first time.
It's really frustrating. I think I have had it happen to me on a DVD once or twice also but it is random and I don't watch DVDs nearly as much as TV so it more rarely occurs there. Almost always I cannot replicate it. It'll just do it sometime down the road (an hour later, a day later). Just random.
I wish I could find a pattern, but I can't.

#65227 - 06/04/07 12:24 AM Re: LFE when sub = None
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There may actually be a good reason for it. Dolby Digital can be 5.1 or 2.0 (or a number of other options), and the different options will have different surround mode preferences saved. With HD channels, you can get a wide assortment of situations (ads typically run Dolby 2.0, shows themselves as either 5.1 or 2.0). I usually tell the difference by watching the LFE indicator (located under the "SUB" indicator and above the back surround indicator on the speaker display at the left side of the front panel) to differentiate between Dolby 5.1 and 2.0 (the LFE light will be on for 5.1 sources but not 2.0 sources). I assume you've got the 3.11 firmware installed?

#65228 - 06/04/07 01:10 AM Re: LFE when sub = None
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Yeah, I have the latest firmware installed (if that's the one that lets you display the processing mode without changing it).
I just now turned on the system, went to MHD (Music High-def), the LFE indicator was on, I hit "Dolby Modes" and it displayed "Pro Logic". I hit it again and it flipped to "Dolby Digital" and the LFE indicator is still on. Now hitting "Dolby Modes" does not allow me to go back to "Pro Logic" (not that I want to). It's just weird that it is stuck on "Dolby Digital" yet originally it was on "Pro Logic".
Now if I flip to a regular channel it goes to "Pro Logic" (as it should) and if I flip back to MHD it defaults to "Dolby Digital" like it should. So why didn't it the first time?
That's why I have problems replicating it or finding patterns.
And it doesn't do it only upon initial startup. I'm sure at some point this evening when flipping channels I will witness it again.

#65229 - 08/24/07 01:55 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Regarding the LFE issue, I know Outlaw has said they're working on it but I wish they'd at least list out what exactly they're working on. In other words, list the changes they're going to make. Maybe they don't know exactly due to a deadline of some sort and things included just depend on what they can get done before the deadline.
I know they want to take their time and get it right, which is a great thing. But knowing the specs of what the update will include certainly would calm my nerves wink
What if the "fix" changes something else that I don't want to change? confused
I know, patience, patience. Just trying to relax the anxiousness. laugh
I think they ought to fix that other issue when you run auto-setup and your speakers are already set to small with a high-crossover and it gives you an error saying you need to flip your back speakers with the fronts.

#65230 - 08/24/07 06:12 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
tmdlp Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Big D, Tx
Daryl - Otto,
Just for clarification:
The crossover/LFE issue is only affects Dolby Digital.

NOT DTS, 2-Channel downmix or 2-chanel inputs?

Thanks

#65231 - 08/27/07 04:04 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
Daryl Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdlp:
Daryl - Otto,
Just for clarification:

NOT DTS, 2-Channel downmix or 2-chanel inputs?

Thanks
I don't have a test disk with DTS encoded LFE tones so I can't confirm. I didn’t test in 2 channel down mix mode.

The one thing I do know is that the bass management doesn't work at all as advertised. It is impossible to configure the 990 to take advantage of a sub for both movies and music. The advertised bass management feature of the 990 was a major reason I purchased the 990 along with some other features and those features are un-usable.
Sony KDS-55A2000
Onkyo DX-C390
Toshiba HD-A2
DirecTV HR20-700
Philips Pronto TS-1000
Pics of My System

#65232 - 08/27/07 07:41 PM Re: LFE when sub = None
jrlouie Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by tmdlp:
Daryl - Otto,
Just for clarification:
I know you addressed your question to Daryl and Otto, so I hope you don't mind me replying. But, as indicated in this post , it does effect analog also. The post refers to the 7.1 analog-in. Although I didn't test it, I would bet it effects standard 2-channel analog inputs as well.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM