Quote:
Originally posted by LCSeminole:
I find much irony in this thread, that all I can bring myself to do is laugh. The constant updates & questions of Emotiva to fix the LMC-1, which I might add has been firmware/software updated & no longer produced, but yet no updates & questions of Outlaw to do the same for the 970 & 990. To top it all off, a trade-in program for Emotiva's LMC-1 for a just as buggy 970, now that's humorous!!!
Hey LCSeminole. Haven't seen you around here in a bit.

I initially didn't plan to reply to your post because I didn't feel that it would aid the discussion in question. I also haven't been to Emotiva's site or forum in months - things got real busy last fall, around the time that Doug917 made a first pass at updating the LMC-1's manual, and by the time I got my head above water I just never got back to their site to see what was happening. I glanced at their site just now and didn't see any sign of a newer version of the manual than I saw last fall or of a FAQ for the LMC-1. Based on the assumption that the LMC-1's status is unchanged from when I lost track of it last fall (some time before it was discontinued), I'd take some exception to your comments here. True, Outlaw is overdue on getting a patch out for the 990 on this issue. Also true, Outlaw had a very difficult time with the 970's "no audio" bug. It's worth pointing out, however, that Emotiva's fixes for the LMC-1 (which took over a year and a half) only fixed some issues - others were "fixed" by labeling them features. A couple of quick examples might help. Signal acquisition time was "fixed" by achieving a two to three second delay (eliminating an intermittent 10 to 15 second delay experienced by some users), even though that two to three second delay is roughly double the one to 1.5 second delay found on processors like the Model 950 and Rotel's 1066 (both of which used the same DSP chip as the LMC-1 and were released back in 2002). Surround mode memory was fixed by saying that per-input memory was impossible due to hardware limitations, and even then I was never able to get a definitive answer on how the global memory worked - even after asking countless times in e-mails, at AV123's forum, and on Emotiva's own forum. That means that not only was the issue not fixed, it wasn't even explained in any complete fashion. For that matter, it would appear that Emotiva has also still not documented exactly how the LMC-1's bass management breaks when using Pro Logic II/IIx with Dolby Digital sources, even though the firmware that produces that break has been in production since June of 2006.

Just to be clear, I am not making this post to excuse the delay in a firmware update for the 990. I am making the post to suggest that posts comparing the issue under discussion with the LMC-1's mis-adventures is of no use to the discussion. In fact, they really feel like nothing more than trolling. Now, back to the discussion at hand (including Jason's very good question)...