Quote:
Originally posted by Scott:
Despite our confidence in the Model 990's behavior regarding "bypass", we took your post very seriously and double-checked the system path. To do that we performed calibrated measurements and confirmed that the Model 990 does not route analog signals through the DSP circuitry.

More importantly, the tests verified our thought that regardless of the audio path, any differences in the "speed to output" between bypass and a signal that has gone through the Model 990's digital circuitry are infinitesimally small and well outside of our audible range of detection. For that reason, we suspect that some other system variable is at work here. I encourage you to ensure that system levels are matched and that any other potential differences between the two signal paths are accounted for. If all else fails, please try a system reset.

Best,

Scott
Scott,

I'm confused. Unless we are, once again, failing to communicate clearly, this flies completely in opposition to the conversation we had on the phone on January 3rd. Once again, to clarify, here's the issue:

- When the 990 has front speakers set to SMALL,
- AND using an analog input,
- AND using bypass mode...
: According to the Analog Bass Management Matrix , the 990 should pass a "Full Range" signal to the front speakers and subwoofer.

However, it does not.

Instead, in this mode (Small front speakers, analog input, bypass mode), the output to the main speakers is clearly being run through a high-pass filter. It's audible immediately when listening to any kind of familiar music with bass response.

I do not have access to a scope, but I do have a 1/3 Octave RTA on hand as well as a proper digital audio workstation. I will run some tests this week and report exactly what is happening in this mode. To the ear, it sounds like a high-pass filter of 12dB/octave around 30Hz, or perhaps a 6dB/Octave with a higher -3dB point.

Perhaps we can establish if we're talking about the same actual BUG, and then move toward setting some expectations for a fix. Personally I've resigned myself to running my front speakers as "Large" which appears to completely circumvent this design defect.

- Jason