Hmmm... I could have sworn that I'd made another post here after finding the manual myself yesterday, but apparently I was more tired yesterday than I realized...

I also saw the comment on page 19, but I interpreted it to mean that it passes HDMI audio through the unit but doesn't actually use the HDMI audio. That explains why there's no mention of an HDMI version (it'd need to be at least v1.1 to accept multichannel PCM, and without that - with v1.0, for example - HDMI audio support is effectively identical to SPDIF). I also noted the omission of instructions regarding HDMI audio input and the following sidebar on page 19:
Quote:
TIP: The HDMI connections pass both audio and video signals from your source device to you routput device; however, to use the full audio processing power of the GTP-870 we recommend that you connect a separate audio cable (analog or digital) from your source device to the appropriate input on the GTP-870. Se page 15 for analog audio connections or page 18 for digital audio connections.
To me, that says the HDMI input is pure video as far as the GTP-870's use of it. The video processing could is a nice touch, but you could use the 990 and an outboard video scaler to achieve the same results and still come in under $2500.