Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#64535 - 03/01/07 06:06 PM Center Potential
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Ontairo, Canada
Hello everyone.

Currently, I have only a pair of speakers, operating in stereo, as I await the other pieces required for a 5.1 setup. I have and love my new 990 and have also a five-channel amplifier. Within a few months, I will also have, hopefully, my main speakers and my current speakers will be relegated to the rear. I planned on also buying a new center channel, until I got to thinking.

I have a Panny plasma, which has, actually, quite a good sound system built into it (with an HDMI connection, version 1, I assume, given it’s a couple of years old). I've been operating both my stereo speakers and my TV's speakers, simultaneously, for simulating surround sound and actually, it's very effective.

This got me to thinking: is it possible for me to use the TV's sound system as a dedicated center channel, via the 990?

Currently, I have my sat box, which has a DVI output, connected to the plasma with a DVI to HDMI cable. The sound output from the sat box is connected to the TV separately, with a pair of typical RCA interconnects. My current, cheapo DVD player is connected via Component, for video, and the same RCA interconnects for audio. I plan soon to replace the DVD player with a more sophisticated, higher quality unit and so everything is going to have to be reconfigured.

Nevertheless, once more, I ask: is it possible, somehow, to use my TV’s audio system as a center channel, in conjunction with the 990 and my four other speakers? Or, is this somehow a bad idea?

Any and all information, appreciated.

Thanks,

John

#64536 - 03/01/07 06:15 PM Re: Center Potential
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
[If your TV had an audio input such that you could connect the center channel pre-amp output to that input on the TV (which it should), you could in theory do this and let the TV's speakers serve as a center channel. Ideally, it would be an input that bypassed the TV's volume control, but if it wasn't (and odds are that it wouldn't be) you could have to adjust the TV volume so that the levels match across the front soundstage.

Would it work as well as or better than what you're doing now? Odds are that it wouldn't - presently, your speakers are helping with the dialogue and the TV's just providing reinforcement. In this alternate approach, the TV's speakers would be assuming the significant burden of most or all of the dialogue as well as a fair share of the on-screen sound effects. That means that you're placing this important burden on the cheapest speakers in the room - the superior freestanding speakers would no longer be able to help with this duty. You could use Pro Logic II's adjustable settings to help keep the front channels in play for that (with a high center width setting), but that wouldn't help with 5.1 sources like most DVD's.

#64537 - 03/01/07 07:16 PM Re: Center Potential
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

in other words, it's doable, but perhaps not the most practical and effective approach? It would be as you described it; there's no way to manipulate the volume control other than manually, with the remote.

This idea began with a worry. The bottom of my TV sits about 40" from the floor. I'd like to place the center channel on the floor, under the TV, but worry that the distance might be too great and some of the illusion lost (with picture above and sound from below). I know some centers are actually built this way, to sit on the floor and point up, at an angle. Should I be worrying about this?

Thanks,

John

#64538 - 03/01/07 07:22 PM Re: Center Potential
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
There are short stands that can be placed on the floor to bring the top edge of the center up near the level of the bottom of the TV specifically for this purpose. You might want to consider that if it would work with your room. Like you, I would not want my center sitting flat on the floor, but if it is located just below the bottom edge of the screen that's going to end up being a pretty good placement actually.

#64539 - 03/01/07 07:39 PM Re: Center Potential
Dr_JB Offline
Gunslinger

Gonk,

that's part of the problem. My TV sits on a Shaker table and so it's not possible to get the center close to it. I could hang it just below the table, but I think it would look a little funny.

My original plan was to build a pedestal for the center to sit in, so it's pitched at an angle, pointed at ear height, in the sitting area. I know that Paradigm makes a center that's constructed this way, with a pitch (which is where I first got the idea) but I don't know how effective it would be in my setup until I try it and of course, by then, if I’m not happy with it, I’m pretty much stuck with it.

thanks,

John

#64540 - 03/02/07 10:48 AM Re: Center Potential
Arky Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ark
I agree with gonk. The center channel carries the bulk of the data which is vital. You can purchase center speaker stands that are designed the way you describe. Personally, I don't find my center being a couple feet from the tv to be a performance hinderance.
HeresyII,Heresy; SVS 2039pc+; Sonic Super T

#64541 - 03/03/07 11:05 AM Re: Center Potential
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
I also agree that for HT the centers get the biggest workout. I also like the dialog to be tied to the screen so I use twin centers, one above and one below the tv.
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

#64542 - 03/03/07 04:06 PM Re: Center Potential
garcianc2003 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Washington, DC
For my first "hacked together" HT, I had my center channel about 2 feet to the side of the TV (on top of my audio rack) and was always surprised how far I could go before it became distracting.
I now have a Polk Audio CSI-5 sitting one foot below my screen. The CSI-5 can sit flat or flipped over so it sits at about 15-degree up angle. Technically, it is closer to the center of my screen than the two speakers attached to either side of my plasma monitor. So, if you are looking for a speaker like that, I think you'll like the results.
I also experimented with the Panorama setting on the 990 and found that at "1" (in my case) it sents just enough of a hint of the center channel to the main speakers that the sound for the center channel seems to be coming from the entire screen without "hearing it" on the main speakers.

#64543 - 03/04/07 12:08 PM Re: Center Potential
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Bugbitten, Since your using dual centers, you must prefer that arrangement.Are there any plus and minus performance issues that you could share?

I'm told that it's ideal to have all of the tweeters at ear level. Has anyone experimented with this, possibly raising the sisplay 4 or 5 feet from the floor?
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#64544 - 03/04/07 01:51 PM Re: Center Potential
Bugbitten Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Western KY
Koyaan,

I have an Axiom M3 above my 50 SXRD and one below on a shelf of the tv stand. Absolutely no issues even with the speakers on their sides.

Bug
x-Statiks, x-voce, x-omni

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM