Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Topic Options
#63717 - 01/24/07 07:42 PM What is lip-sync delay?
Dog_lover Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Portland, OR
I suppose I could take a guess at this myself but I hate to publicly embarrass myself if I can help it. Thanks,
Craig

#63718 - 01/24/07 08:43 PM Re: What is lip-sync delay?
bestbang4thebuck Offline
Desperado

Loc: Maryland
There are instances were certain video processes delay the display of visual information. Some types of flat panel display are notorious for this. If the video display is delayed while the audio is heard without delay, sounds that are meant to be coordinated with a visual, such as speech or a hand knocking on a door, will arrive in your listening environment slightly before the associated image(s). By adding some delay to the audio process, the synchronization of the aural and visual elements can be restored.

Unless you have specifications on exactly how much video delay your display introduces, trial and error is the usual means of adjustment. Pick a scene the you can repeat where there is a strong visual/aural coordination elememt, like a conductor tapping a wand just before a performance begins. Watch the scene carefully to determine that the sound and visual images are coordinated, the sound neither arriving too early or too late. If the sound arrives too early, add audio delay; if the sound arrives too late, reduce the audio delay.

I hope you find this helpful.

Who's Online
0 registered (), 184 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM