Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63372 - 01/02/07 06:13 PM First post and a whole lot of questions.
Grouse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Seattle
This is my first leap into a Home Theater and music frying pan. I say frying pan because the more i look the more i want to spend and the more the wife turns up the heat. I do have a saving grace though. As long as the Home Theater replaces 12k in mods to the the car i should be good. wink

So let us get started.

I am looking at JVC HD-61FH97 DILA and LCOS TVs (HD61FH97) found here JVC

It has two HDMI imput (i read gonk's faq and the thread a couple of posts down.) I have been playing hell to find a reciever, dvd player, hd dvd player, and tv that would accept HDMI. I really only need two imputs right now. One for cable box, and one for oppo dvd player. So that means i look at going with a quality Pre/Pro.

Hence why i am here. (yes i will get to the point. My wife says i talk in circles.)

First the speaker set up i am currently thinking of. Do any of you have exp running these speakers on outlaw products?
Aperion audio
Intimus 633-T Tower Speaker Intimus S-12, 12" Powered Subwoofer Intimus 634-VAC Center Channel Speaker Intimus 534-SS Dipole/Bipole Surround Speaker

I was thinking of two recivers.
denon 4306
Marantz sr8001

But now I am looking at an outlaw set up.
990 Pre/Pro
either a 7125 or a 7200 Probably the 7125.

So gentalmen where do i go from here. Do any of you have experience with all or some of these products. hell give me your best opinion.

#63373 - 01/02/07 11:31 PM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I'm afraid that I'm going to have to speak solely from the standpoint of specs for the receivers. The Denon AVR-4306 offers a few features that the 990 doesn't have (HDMI v1.1 for audio over the HDMI connection, for example), but at close to the same price as a 990/7125 the Denon's amp section would have a hard time matching the separate amp and would leave you needing to replace the whole thing later if you decided to upgrade later. And since almost all of the Toshiba HD-DVD players offer multichannel analog outputs (the new HD-A2 being the only exception), the HDMI audio isn't necessarily essential. The Marantz is the same way.

There are some Aperion users around here who can probably offer specific feedback, but I've heard nothing but positive things about the Aperions from Outlaw owners.

#63374 - 01/03/07 12:35 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Grouse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

It is definately a toss up right now. I found the marantz online for 1700 and the 4306 for 1999

hmmm....

#63375 - 01/03/07 01:19 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Lonster Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eureka CA.
If you are worried about not having enough switching ability for your HDMI needs, may I recommend the Zektor HDVI5:
http://www.zektor.com/hdvi5/index.html

Very user friendly and very tuneable and very capable.

Lonster

#63376 - 01/03/07 05:27 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
If you buy any receiver/processor now it should have a minimum of HDMI 1.1.

Here are some better pricing on those models from a dealer well respected on Audiogon:

Marantz - $1389
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?miscrcvr&1170009909

Denon - $1469
http://www.amsound2.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=91

My current fav in the under $1500 (street) receiver is the Marantz 8001.

Great speaker choice BTW - can't go wrong with Aperion....

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

#63377 - 01/03/07 07:46 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
If you buy a receiver, there are some good options for HDMI v1.1, but the only way to get HDMI v1.1 in a true processor is to spend the better part of four grand or more (possibly a lot more).

#63378 - 01/03/07 10:58 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
I am not an owner of Aperion speakers, however, I auditioned them in comparison to Onix Rocket speakers (AV123) at home. I ordered the PTs, VAC and the small bookshelf speakers as rears. The design and finish (piano black) was stunning. The sound was good but in comaprison to the Rocket RS750s the highs were a little bright and the mids sounded a little 'thin'. Base extension of the PTs was very good due to the active woofer. The bookshelf speakers sounded good for their size and I really liked the VAC. The 12'' sub played nice deep base and was quite musical, however, I like lots of bass and it couldn't really deliver the SPL that I was looking for. If you can afford it you can order 2 speaker systems (Onix and Aperion) in and audition them simultaneously. The Aperion speakers can be returned without charge if you like the Rocket speakers better. If you prefer to keep the Aperions just call them up and tell them you'd like to return your Aperion speakers. When they ask you for what reason tell them you also have the Rockets at home. They will offer to pay the return shipment for the Rockets for you if you decide to keep the Aperions (at least this is what they offered me).
Loudspeakers are very much a matter of personal listening preference and there is no definitive answer. I liked the Rockets better than anything that I could audition (in stores and at home). I am still extremely happy with them and have upgraded several parts of my system with new Onix speakers since. However, the Aperion speakers are for sure good products sound, design and built-quality wise and they might be slightly cheaper than the Onix stuff. I hope this makes your decision a little easier. Good luck Grouse.

#63379 - 01/03/07 12:00 PM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
GC Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Benson:
They will offer to pay the return shipment for the Rockets for you if you decide to keep the Aperions (at least this is what they offered me).
That is good to know! I may be in a position to take advantage of such an offer...

This thread interests me because of my similar situation. I will be auditioning the 990 with a B&K amp, Oppo DV981HD player, Sony KDS-R60XBR2, and auditioning 3 sets of speakers, all very different, from what I've read online--
Magnepan MMGs x4 with MMG-C center with the new HSU VTF-3 MK3 sub;
Aperion Audio system with 633-T, 634 center, dipole/bipole sides, 532 rears, and the 12" sub;
and Ascend Acoustics 340s up front and 170s x4 around.

It's going to be a crazy rush to determine what sounds good within the 30-day return windows... Fun!

#63380 - 01/03/07 04:42 PM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Grouse Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks guys this helps alot. Lucky for me i have a month to decide.

#63381 - 01/03/07 08:46 PM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Arky Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Central Ark
If audio quality is a concern the Outlaw Separates will vastly outperform those avr's. The power supply in a stand alone amp has one function to perform & will provide more headroom than an avr (especially important if the speakers one chooses aren't so efficient).
HeresyII,Heresy; SVS 2039pc+; Sonic Super T

#63382 - 01/04/07 09:33 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
Benson Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Cincinnati, OH
GC,
I would be interested in hearing how the 633T's work out. When I ordered the PT's there were no 3-way towers in their line up. So when I was a little disappointed about the mids in the PT's (compared to the 4-driver continous array in the RS750's)and talked about that to Aperion, I suggested to add 1 or 2 6.5'' drivers to the PT's. Obviously they didn't listen to but the the new 633T might be an alternative ?!
Also, nice choice of TV there! I got the same unit about a month ago and am still amazed by the picture quality, especially with HD telecast and Blue Ray. It will be sweet for my upcoming Superbowl party too.

#63383 - 01/04/07 10:54 AM Re: First post and a whole lot of questions.
GC Offline
Gunslinger

I'll try to post my impressions once I've had a chance to do some comparisons. Very much looking forward to that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM