Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63342 - 01/01/07 04:03 PM upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
Islander Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Loc: Prince Edward Island
I purchased the Emotiva LMC-1 this time last year. Very happy with amp (for now) but would like to upgrade to 990.
- additional optical out
- phono stage
- ability to run 3 subs
- software upgrade via usb input
- bass management
- other?

Other things that I am not sure of...
- can it upconvert video?
- hopeful that I like sound quality better
- easy set up

I am looking to use the Emotiva ULs as a second system and upgrade amp as well (in another year). Thus, I like the option of balanced outputs.

Have others struggled with this or moved from LMC-1 to 990? It feels like something is missing from my set-up and my feeling it is the processer. Maybe I'm wrong. Will the increased investment be worth it in the long run?

I am running the following gear:
- Optoma H27 (nice projector for price)
- Oppo 971
- Squeezebox
- Amplifier is Emotiva LPA-1
- Onix Reference 1.5 (fronts)
- Totem Staffs (rears)
- Onix Ref 100 (center)
- 2 10" Onix ULW subs

I am also looking at the LFM-1 as 12" sub to combine with 2 10" subs? Any comments on running 3 subs would also be appreciated.

#63343 - 01/01/07 04:21 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
The LMC-1 has not generated a huge amount of debate, especially around here (there's a good bit at AV123, although since Emotiva struck out on their own). The LMC-1 uses almost exactly the same DAC's as the Model 970 (in fact, the 970 has a version with about 4dB more headroom), and Outlaw's said on more than one occasion that the 990's DAC's are a solid step up. The 990 offers all of the same features as the LMC-1 (as can be seen in my comparison chart ) including analog video transcoding (composite and s-video are available at the component output, although the DVI switching is independent), plus it has some advantages. The ones that spring to mind are addressable digital audio inputs, addressable component video inputs, addressable DVI inputs, software updates via USB or RS-232, phono input, auto calibration, and stereo analog bypass. One other thing that may factor in is support - Outlaw's pretty well stamped out bugs in the 990 but still have an easy avenue for upgrades to fix problems or add things via firmware update, but I've seen indications at AV123 that there are still bugs in the LMC-1 and this post suggests that there are no firmware updates in the pipeline (hassle of having updates installed notwithstanding).

If you bought this time last year, then you would have gotten one of the pre-orders - have you gotten the PLII fix installed?

#63344 - 01/01/07 06:47 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
Islander Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Thanks Gonk for the quick response. I got the ULs only in June. I haven't got the firmware upgrade until there is another reason. mostly for the pain in the ass factor. I should but haven't. I am not even sure what it will give me smile I still need to get the HDMI switcher. For the money its a nice setup.

With the 990 could I assign four channels (fronts/ rears) and listen in stereo, similar to an A/B speaker select scenario with a receiver? To be honest i don't think I would be happy with the 970 in terms on a sonic upgrade. I really would like to notice an appreciable difference. What is the advantage of having addressable inputs? What is analog video transcoding? I believe the LMC has a stereo analog bypass (2 and 3 channel only). I am also leaning towards towards trying a 1070 receiver as a pre-amp.

#63345 - 01/01/07 06:49 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
Islander Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

Further note:
The 1070 is of interest to me to try as a pre-amp for now and then move to the cottage in the summer.

#63346 - 01/01/07 07:53 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

I wouldn't expect the 970 to offer a sonic upgrade (if there was one, it should be subtle, since I'd expect both companies to get the analog section design pretty well right and the DAC being used is almost identical). The 1070 will of course sound the same (same platform as the 970 but with amps under the hood), but it could be a temporary solution until the summer. The 1070/970 (and the 990) would also let you apply Pro Logic II properly, which isn't possible with your non-updated LMC. I wrote a summary of the situation with the original LMC-1 firmware on an old thread, which cburbs added to his beta notes under "LMC processing options" - I'll quote the relevant part.
Quote:
Here's where it gets a bit curious, though. In the LMC-1, PLIIx can only be applied to analog or PCM stereo sources, at which point it will produce an output that is 5.1, 6.1, or 7.1 (depending on how many speakers your system has). It cannot be overlayed onto a Dolby Digital or DTS bitstream, although according to Dolby's description of the format it is intended to support at least Dolby Digital bitstreams. I've also seen a number of PLIIx implementations that also support being overlayed onto DTS bitstreams (the processing is simply applied after the DTS bitstream is decoded). This means that if you have a Dolby 2.0 source (many cable or satellite broadcasts or older TV shows and movies on DVD), you won't be able to apply surround processing for the digital audio input. The current solution is to toggle to a stereo analog connection for that input, which does allow Pro Logic IIx processing (although it means you are now relying on the source component's DAC, then the LMC-1's ADC, and finally the LMC-1's DAC). You may also be able to set your cable or satellite box to output PCM instead of a bitstream - the only drawback there being that you'd lose access to any Dolby Digital 5.1 material on broadcasts that include it (it would be downmixed to stereo). DVD players also allow this, but once again it means losing access to Dolby Digital 5.1 when you use discs that do include it.
The updated firmware fixes this (allowing you to apply Pro Logic II processing to Dolby 2.0 sources), but it does so by "breaking" the triple crossover bass management and instead applying a single crossover to all channels.

You can't exactly send the same signal (left/right) to rears to simulate an A/B switch with the 990, but you do have a 5 stereo or 7 Stereo mode (left is copied to left surround and even left back surround if there is one, same for right, and the center gets a summed signal). There's also a second zone similar to what the LMC-1 has, with the ability to switch video added to the mix.

Addressable inputs are handy because it doesn't lock you into only using coaxial for a certain input's digital audio connection, or for having one source (DVD player) act as two inputs (one for DVD viewing and another for stereo CD listening).

The analog video transcoding is sometimes mis-labeled "upconverting." Composite and s-video inputs are output at 480i through the component input, just as the LMC-1 does. "Upconverting" really would only apply if those sources are also converted to 480p or a higher resolution along the way, which neither the 990 nor the LMC-1 do.

The LMC-1 does not have stereo analog bypass. The only way to send an analog signal all the way through the LMC-1 without undergoing an analog-to-digital conversion and a subsequent digital-to-analog conversion is the 7.1 Direct input. The mode labeled "bypass" on the LMC-1 really should be called simply "stereo" because it doesn't bypass the digital processing.

#63347 - 01/01/07 10:05 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
Islander Offline
Deputy Gunslinger

thanks Gonk, I have some more questions that I need to put together. Appreciate your time.

#63348 - 01/01/07 11:04 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

No sweat - toss out your questions when you get a chance and we'll kick them around.

#63349 - 01/02/07 07:48 AM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
Ed Zeppelin Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: USA
gonk-"the 990 offers all of the same features as the lmc 1"

Does the 990 allow you to adjust the sub and center on the fly with dedicated remote buttons?I don't remember that feature,it's one I really like on Rotel and the LMC 1

The 990 is an upgrade from the LMC 1 for sound,no doubt,mostly because of the lower noise floor from the prepro but it was really good.I really liked the 990 but could never get past the looks,mine had an odd shading in finish color also.The UL combo is beautiful to my eyes,for the price amazing.I always wished the 990 had a milled finish.If the 990 looked as good as the UL I would spend $700 more,for sound alone only $350,just my opinion.

#63350 - 01/02/07 08:16 AM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
gonk Offline
Desperado

OK, that's one that the 990 doesn't do - no direct access to sub and center trim. It's not one I think about because I'm one of the folks who prefers to calibrate and leave the trims alone, so it's not something that I use even if it's available.

#63351 - 01/02/07 07:42 PM Re: upgrade to 990 from Emotiva LMC-1
sb-avnut Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Chicago - W. Suburbs, IL
Islander:

Unless you are in a hurry, I would recommend that you wait (till 4Q 2007) for the next version of the Outlaw 990 or the Emotiva MMC-1 (the current MMC-1 has HDMI video switching, next one will have HDMI 1.3 switching). I am guessing that both would be priced about $1,200.

SUB - Hsu (they also build the Outlaw subs) just came out with their Mark III versions - very good pricing - check them out also

Ed:

I LOVE the ability to change the CENTER trim on the fly, so yes that is indeed a feature that I hope the next gen 990 remote has.

LIVRM 2ch - Philips 963SA,Lexicon DC-1,Carver AV-505,Von Schweikert VR-2,Sony KDF-E42A10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 317 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM