Outlaw Audio home shop products hideout news support about
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#63331 - 12/31/06 12:45 PM DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Eatontown, New Jersey
I received a TIVO for a Christmas gift and before I subscribe to the service I thought I'd reach out to my fellow outlaws for a little buying advice. I have the 80-hr TiVo® Series2™ DT DVR, , that I'm about ready to spend $300 on for a 3 year subscription. They are no longer offering the lifetime subscription offer.

I am comparing this purchase decision against currently 2 Panasonic DVR models being sold at Circuit City. Panasonic DVD Recorder
(DMR-EH55S) , for $459.00 & a Panasonic DVD Recorder/VCR combo with DVR (DMR-EH75VS), for $493.00.

As far as DVR's are concerned I've read that the TIVO has the easiest and most powerful options for recording. I like the fact that I can log onto my account from any computer and set up recording preferences. I don't like the monthly fees associated with it but weighing it against the fact they give you the unit for free after rebate it more than makes up for the contract price.

I have never owned a DVR and have no experience owning one of these technologies. I like the fact that having a standalone unit like the Panasonic that I could record a DVD recordable to backup or give someone if I needed. If I were convinced that the Panasonic programming interface was just as worthy as the TIVO I'd probably opt for that as to avoid being stuck in a never ending bill with TIVO.

Anyone's experience with this type of buying purchase would be appreciated. Thanks for anyone's feedback!

#63332 - 12/31/06 08:47 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
SRW1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Wisconsin
To me, I can't justify the cost of Tivo service. Yes, the interface is extremely refined, and works very well. To some people, the cost is worth it.

I've owned a Panasonic DVR/DVD recorder for years now. It doesn't include the TV Guide service, so I've been limited to manual recording on it. This means paying close attention to what's on when, and certainly isn't for everybody. The ability to edit programs and record to DVD makes it well worth the effort, though.

I also bought a Sony HD-DVR last year. It is equipped with the free TV Guide service, and I've had lots of success with it. There have been some instances of missed recordings, but at the $250 I paid for it, I would consider them minor complaints.

The TV Guide service is not as refined, powerful, accurate, or as easy to use as Tivo. But it's free. Also, there have been numerous reports and speculation about Tivo's future. A three-year prepaid service agreement with them may be risky.

I don't know if that helps you, but it might give you some food for thought.

Scott

#63333 - 12/31/06 10:29 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
gonk Offline
Desperado

Loc: Memphis, TN USA
I've done the same sort of DVD-R setup as SRW1000, using a Panasonic DMR-E80 with 80GB hard drive to time-shift TV shows. I can set recurring timers for the six or eight shows we might like to watch (two or three get erased unwatched more often than not, but there are four or five that we always watch eventually). I got it originally to archive old video tapes, but have really enjoyed it since. As a result, I can't offer any insight into the more typical DVR options...

#63334 - 01/01/07 12:46 AM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
SRW1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by gonk:
I've done the same sort of DVD-R setup as SRW1000, using a Panasonic DMR-E80 with 80GB hard drive to time-shift TV shows.
That's the same DVR that I have! What a great little unit. The only thing that's ever bothered me about it is the 8-bit video processor, which left a lot of banding/posterization problems. But, other than that, it's been a real workhorse.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Each person has to determine the value of Tivo on their own. To me, the cost just wasn't worth it, but others would gladly pay even more for the service.

Either way you go, the DVR will change the way you watch TV forever. That's not an overstatement.

Scott

#63335 - 01/02/07 10:07 AM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
David291 Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Maryland
I have a Tivo Series 1 unit (from 2000), and a Series 3 HD unit (from Sept 2006). I love them. They are indispensible. Far better than any cable DVR. They are near the top of my list of can't-do-without consumer electronic devices. Is that a superlative enough of an endorsement?

Your Series 2 DT unit is a great unit. If you have or are considering going HD soon, you should have a Series 3 instead.

#63336 - 01/02/07 11:17 AM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
KOYAAN Offline
Desperado

Loc: Sanford NC
Like some of the above, I've been using a Panasonic DVR/DVDR for just over a year now and have really enjoyed it. The TV Guide isn't sophisticated, but it's very reliable and easy to use. I particularly like being able to edit on the hard drive and the archive programs off to DVD-R.
I have found that the DVDr is fussy about the brands of discs used. Mine goes into a coma whenever I use anything white.
I don't have any experience with Tivo, But I can recommenr the Panasonic.
Pioneer Elite DV-47A
Magnavox HDMR513h DVR/DVD-R
Sony DVD megachangers-2
Sony CD megachangers-2
Monster power centers-2
Sony 48" rear projection SDTV
Roku video player
JVC AL-A158 Turntable
Polk RT-2000s,CS-650,XS-650s,RT80s
LFM-1EX
Hsu VTF-1
12" Velodyne

Family room:
OPPO 970
Sony 32" direct view HDTV
Denon 3801
Rolk RMs

#63337 - 01/02/07 08:26 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

Returned the TIVO and ordered the Panny DMR-EH55S. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!!

#63338 - 01/02/07 08:55 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
SRW1000 Offline
Gunslinger

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco:
Returned the TIVO and ordered the Panny DMR-EH55S. Thanks for everyone's feedback!!!
Let us know what you think of it once you get it and have started using it.

Scott

#63339 - 01/31/07 07:02 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
Cisco Offline
Gunslinger

I returned the Panny DMR-EH55S because I wasn't pleased with the picture quality of the analog tuner or the ease of operation of the TVGuide. I upgraded my TIVO to a Series 3 HD. Picture quality is vast improved. Only dilemma now is that I'm waiting on two tuner cards to become available from my cable company before I can fully utilize the unit with all my digital channels. As far as scheduling goes, I couldn't imagine anything easier. So I went from a Series 2 Tivo, to a Panasonic DVR, back to Tivo HD and couldn’t be happier, albeit I’m only using it in analog mode till my digital cable cards become available. My fiancée informs me that I’m getting a sweater for Christmas next year.

#63340 - 01/31/07 07:55 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
palmer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: South San Francisco, CA USA
I upgraded to the Series 3 TiVo last month and then immediately upgraded to a 750GB hard drive. I would highly recommended upgrading the HDD if you want to record any significant amount of HD material.

This was at the tail end of an unplanned complete overhaul of the home theater system. It started with a 970, in ceiling surrounds, in wall back surrounds and a new TV. This was followed by the irresistable urge to upgrade the DVD player to the Oppo 981. After this I saw an unbelievable deal on new fronts and a new center channel, and finally I decided to replace my old HSU sub with an LFM-1 Plus and SMS-1 (in transit).

I wish we could afford a sweater for Christmas next year but it looks like we'll have to sell the kids for medical experiments to make ends meet. :-)

Luckily I was able to sell most of my old gear and offset some of the expense.

Anyway, Just wanted to say enjoy your TiVo.

Cheers.
Video: Sony KDL-46V2500, OPPO BDP-103, TiVo Premiere XL4
2-channel: Outlaw RR2150, SF Concerto Home, Outlaw LFM-2

#63341 - 02/01/07 03:34 PM Re: DVR advice regarding Tivo Gift
Skyblazer Offline
Gunslinger

Loc: Spokane, WA
I just today got rid of my Comcast digital cable tv.. only keeping the cable internet. the comcast TV was getting to expensive. I do miss the dual tuner DVR.. but i will be saving enough in about 3 to 4 months to buy my own DVD recorder.

I was surprised that Comcast didn't try to keep me as a digital TV subscriber.. usually they will make you a deal again if you tell them you are leaving. but they didn't. oh well.. i wasn't watching much TV anyways.. so much I do watch is over the air on the networks... so i can get their HDTV signal already..
Parasound P/HP-850 2 CH pre
Pioneer PL-530 TT
Polk Audio SDA 2B
NAD 2600A amp
Danger Boy here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Who's Online
0 registered (), 107 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
caffeinated, WooWho, Ali, garyedward, jamescuz
8713 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
M.Yu 1
Forum Stats
8,713 Registered Members
88 Forums
11,328 Topics
98,694 Posts

Most users ever online: 542 @ 06/25/24 03:13 AM